Friday 14 December 2012

RP No 108 NYW/Jacobite - Lord Louth's Foot




Another unit of Jacobites for the Boyne period, although It's unclear if this regt fought in either of the 2 main action, the Boyne or Aughrim. The figures are once again from Essex minis and the flags were made by your truly. I found little info on the regt apart from the two snippets below.

Though the Plunketts were deeply involved in the uphevals of the 1640s and 1689-91, they survived with their lands intact.  Lord Louth, a royalist supporter, was taken prisoner in 1642 and was outlawed for high treason, later forfeiting his lands under the Cromwellian land settlement.  When Charles II returned to the throne in 1660, most of these lands were restored to Lord Louth and to his son, Matthew.
The accession of James II gave new life to Catholic aspirations in Ireland.  Matthew Plunkett, the 7th Baron Louth, joined the Jacobite cause in 1689 and commanded an infantry regiment at the seige of Derry.  He was outlawed and exiled, and died in September 1689.  The 8th Baron Louth, Oliver Plunkett, was only 21 when he succeeded to the title in 1689.  He joined the Jacobite forces and was outlawed, and was in Limerick at the surrender in 1691.  He was pardoned under the Arcticles of Limerick.  He was made secure in his estates and eventually managed to prove the reversal of his grandfather's outlawry for rebellion in 1641.  In October 1695 Lord Louth took the oath of fidelity, but his refusal to take both the oath of royal supremacy over the church and a declaration against Catholic religious practices and beliefs, prevented him from sitting in the House of Lords.


"English Historical Documents 1660-1714, by Andrew Brown"
There happened no winter action of any note between the Catholics and Protestants troops on the frontier of Ulster, except two or three. On the 24th November Captain Christopher  Plunkett of Lord Louth’s regt, was sent with his company of Grenadiers,  by Major-General Boissleau from Dundalk  to take Newry, an open town then garrisoned by few of Schomberg’s army. He marched in the night-time and by dawn of the day he made himself master  thereof by the slaughter of a few enemies, and he was going to plunder the place, which was furnished with a good store of money, and had horses and black cattle, the captain received an order from the Major –General to retire immediately to his quarters. What reason there was for  this order we have not been informed, otherwise than that the first design was only but to show the rebels that the King’s frontier garrison was watchful and bold.








A very nice little pressie was poked through the letter box the other day from fellow blogger and good all round chap, Clint from down in the deepest darkest depths of the Medway towns. Myself and Fran received
a little box of chocolate goodness, which I'm afraid didn't last too long. Fran thought he had more chocs than me, but I'd already eaten two by the time the camera came out!!! Cheers Clint!!!!

Finally I've been working like a Trojan all night, cleaning up and gluing together bloody Gripping Beast bloody plastic Vikings, I wanted to make some command stands for my Vikings, so I've been drilling out hands for standards. All I can say is NEVER AGAIN!!!!! I've only made up 14 of the buggers and I've had enough, its taken me hours and I'm not a happy chappie,  its lead all the way from now on. I knew had have a funny turn with them and I was right! Now I need a drink, shame its only tea, now where's that Irish git, its his turn to make the tea, I made the last one and...............


53 comments:

  1. Nice looking regiment Ray. I like the browns and creams of the uniforms. Are you busy priming figs for the contest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, its driving me mad as well as his highness above!

      Delete
    2. I expect nothing less from a man who would insult an Irishman

      Delete
  2. Ahhhh....something other than red, blue or yellow...very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the back link. I can assure you and Fran I wieghed the contents before putting them in the boxes so I KNOW you each had the same ammout! Glad you enjoyed the home-made fudge.I have some white chocolate fudge to make this week for Family members and the nurses at work have already called "shot gun" on it and they are prettier than you and Fran!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it possible that there are prettier people than me and Fran? I can't believe it!!!

      Delete
  4. Impressive and inspiring work as always, Ray. The chocolate does look good too. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another lovely looking regiment Ray :)

    The chocs were very nice of Clint.

    I think we need to see pics of all your figures for the challenge with a newspaper to confirm that no paint was applied before 20 December, given your history - I'm sure Fran will be only to happy to oblige!;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tams. I have suggested to Fran that I could make some fudge for Salute next year to give out to fellow bloggers. Fran did not want to share though!

      Delete
    2. Don't take any notice of the lying Git!

      Delete
  6. Good stuff, the brown tones actually have a more realistic look to them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chocolate and wargaming, a perfect day Ray. Your standard of work is superb as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I needed was a packet of Wine Gums to make the day complete!!

      Delete
  8. Great work mate, really effective looking unit. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking figs abd flags! Your collection is getting big!

    ReplyDelete
  10. He claimed he got most of the chocolate.
    Figures look great. Your knowledge of the history really impresses me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice looking regiment, I do like the colours!
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lookin' good, Ray. Looks like somebody in the regiment up-and-shot old Muley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Francis the Donkey is still skulking about somewhere???

      Delete
  13. I like that creamy white Ray. Washes, or working up from a base colour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its an off-white, then its inked with Windsor and Newton Peat Brown Ink.

      Delete
  14. Another nice addition to your collection! Nice work Ray.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Andrew! I'll steer clear of Warlord plastic then!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great looking unit. With fiddly plastic I do them in batches. My Mantic Zeds where done in 6's build, undercoated then painted. Got them done in no time that way and I did something else between batches.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another great looking regiment and flags there Ray.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another all round good unit Ray, Chocs and Figures, lifes not bad eh?

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  19. They came out great, Ray. Although, I was a bit distracted by the chocolate and the word pressie which I think means present?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pressie does indeed mean present, its just a little English slang!

      Delete
  20. More fine looking foot. Could we have a post of them all together soon please?

    No doubt your painting output was increased a notch on the choccie high—not that you need it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very fine looking unit, Ray. You have now a wonderful collection!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Enjoyed the history lesson and the figures look great.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looking great Ray, but it really got me wondering: how many regiments do need to do before you've finished the army?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never truly finish an army Sander!!!

      Delete
    2. Well I suppose you're right there. But are you putting it together after a certain order of battle?

      Delete
  24. Nice work once again Ray.
    And bravo to sir Clint! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Excellent painted unit as always Ray! Great job done on those uniforms!

    Greetings
    Peter
    http://www.peterscave.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Am running out of adjectives to describe these units
    Simply super

    ReplyDelete
  27. You already ate two before the camera came out. Smart thinking.

    PS: Your pictures keep getting better and better.

    ReplyDelete