Sunday 30 December 2012

RP No110 The 95th Rifle Regt of Foot



My first entry into this years Analougue Painting Challenge, earned me 120 points at the time, putting me into 5th place, that was before Christmas, I'm now in 14th!!! Some of the guys'n'gals must have been painting while eating their Christmas dinner!!!! 
At the moment the Challenge is being led by Miles with 475 points, as I said I'm in 14th and poor Fran has yet to put in an entry!!! Lazy Git! Although he's busy painting away down the table from me, of course that means I'm back at work, boo hiss!!!! Only two nights though, so its not that bad, although one of them is of course New Years Eve!!!!
Anyway, the figures are from Front Rank and have been sitting in my "To Paint" pile for far too long, I do have more and will be painting the 60th and maybe a Kings German Legion unit as well.




"In 1800 The Experimental Corps of Riflemen was formed, eventually becoming the 95th (Rifle) Regiment of Foot in 1803.
Riflemen were different, in many ways, to the soldiers that made up the bulk of the British Army. Instead of the classic 'redcoat' and white crossbelts worn by most infantrymen, the Rifles wore a distinctive 'greenjacket' and black leatherwork. This was the first attempt at camouflage by the British Army and was a reflection of the very different role expected of this brand new soldier, who was encouraged to make use of his surroundings.
Of course the other most notable difference between a Rifleman and most of Wellington's Redcoats was the weapon he carried, the Baker Rifle. Redcoats were generally issued with the 'Brown Bess' musket, capable of wavering accuracy at 75 yards. The 'Baker' was able to hit a man-sized target 200 yards away, and there are legendary characters within the regiment such as Tom Plunkett who achieved accuracy at 400 yards using a Patched Ball. This accuracy was down to a combination of the weapon and a revolutionary new training initiative."








58 comments:

  1. They look fantastic Ray. Green is my favourite colour! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good, Ray. I get the impression you had fun painting them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice unit and paintjobs Ray, Good luck with the comp I'm sure you'll be back upto speed in no time at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic models, Ray. I think this year the competition is very hard!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice Ray, I thought you only did 15's. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I paint all figure sizes, I just prefer 15's, they're cheap!!

      Delete
  6. Greate paint job Ray !

    Happy New Year !

    Best regards Michael

    ReplyDelete
  7. As already stated at the entry they look really good and a 'yay' for Thomas Plunkett and his lucky shots. I want to do some Rifles soon but don't know what sort of green to use?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your detail work just amazes me! These look great, Ray. Good luck in the competition.

    ReplyDelete
  9. very nice, Sir Ray of the Smoking-Hot-Brush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so smokin' at the moment, I'm too knackered!

      Delete
  10. Nice looking group and individually based as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope those earn you a buttload more points!!
    Sorry about working on New Years. That just really sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice work Ray. You won't be in 14th place for long and we all know it. You play to win Rousell and you're going to win this year just like you did last year. Huzzah!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no point playing if you ain't playing to win!

      Delete
  13. I really like these guys, Ray. They remind me of Berdan's Sharpshooters from the ACW. I appreciate the back story, although now I'm curious to hear more about a patched ball. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once painted up Berdan's for a pal! 15mm of course!

      Delete
  14. They look so badass. You've got some catching up to do though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful job Ray. Darned fine figures. Oddly enough, I was firing my Brown Bess today and only managed one hit on a dinner plate size target standing at 50 yards. Maybe I should get a Baker rifle!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah the 95th, always a pleasure to see them ready for action!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice Ray, nice to see your work in 28mm.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fine looking unit and a worthy entry in the competition. I really like painting Front Rank figures. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Front Rank are so easy to paint, they're a joy. Its almost like painting by numbers!!

      Delete
  19. Get crackin', Ray. Where there's a whip, there's a way! You must place within the top 5 to redeem your wargame honor.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looking good Ray. And you're a painting machine so I know you jump back up to the top quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome stuff Ray! Love FR and the Rifles are hard to beat too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do make some nice easy to paint figures!!

      Delete
  22. Chop, chop Cupcake, you're falling behind.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great looking unit there Ray.

    Good luck with the painting challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Rifleman Phil is thinking that these figures are beautiful and worthy of being Great Riflemen!
    All the best,
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great work on these guys.. and I wonder though.. you say only 14th place right now.. but will that last? :) Your going to throw down a huge number at the last minute again arnt you? :) Best of luck with it though, and looking forward to your other entries. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  26. Really great rifles Ray! I think you have to speed up your painting to get a better place in the competition.
    Regards
    Bruno

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great job Ray!! But where were you these days?? You're (as well as Fran) surprisingly lagging behing a lot, better run

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great looking unit Ray, I love the detail you achieve; good luck with the competition, I heard Fran was using illness as an excuse already.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looking good Ray, I'm sure you're just giving people a false sense of security.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great looking unit !!!! Don't sleep, don't eat, don't... and you'll win the challenge ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  31. A great start to the comp, lovely figures.

    ReplyDelete
  32. ohh genial and sublime!!

    Happy new Year and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ah Sharpe's friends! And the unit of my avatar! :-D

    Great painted figures Ray!

    @Andrew: you can use Revell Sea Green to as their uniform colour!

    Greetings
    Peter
    http://peterscave.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lovely representation of every British Napoleonic player's favourite unit(?)!

    ReplyDelete