Wednesday 11 December 2013

A Guest Post, FIW Batrep - The Attack on Fort Haste 1756 by Postie


Hi everyone,  I have several names, Gitface, shitbag, Evil Umpire but I'm better known as Postie, obviously that's not my real name.....or is it??? I am the General in charge of a rough looking bunch of lunatics otherwise known as Posties Rejetcs, Ray's been on at me for ages to do a post on his blog, so just to shut him up I thought I'd give it a go. Personally I don't own a computer and I'm completely out of my depth with all this technology stuff, give me pen and paper anyday!! Anyway on with the show!!!

Its Blog-Con weekend Ray, Fran and Lee were away in Nottingham for the weekends fun and frolics, so I decided to put on a small skirmish game for some of the other poor Rejects, Smiffy, Dave and John.
I been working on a simple set of French Indian War skirmish rules for some time, that are not too technical and don't rot my brain, but give a fun game.
I chose the sides Smiffy played the settlers while John commanded the Canadian Militia and Indians and Dave had Coureur de Bois and Indians, with a separate force in canoes as reinforcements.
Smiffy has most of his settlers in the newly built Fort Haste, stragglers are still arriving at the Fort after a warning of a Warparty in the vicinity. Luckily a small force of Rangers was in the area at the time of the alarm and have stopped to help out the poor settlers. The settlers plan is to survive!
The French Indians plan is to capture and kill all the settlers who have invaded their territory.



Smiffy moves some stragglers over the river, who get stuck mid-stream due to a bad die roll.


The settlers look on worryingly as the wagon gets stuck in the stream.


Meanwhile at the far end of the table John's troops gradually make their way across
 the table towards the fort.


Dave's troops are also heading across the table towards the Fort, these are Redoubt Indians.


Smiffy decided to send out his small party of Rangers to help out the stuck wagon, also a lone pistol armed straggler makes his way back to safety.


John throw well for the Indian reinforcements which arrived 1st turn!
Smiffy was not amused!!!!


Ma Clampet takes a pot-shot at the Indians from the back of the wagon!


Dave's Coureur de Bois move as fast as they can to try and capture 
the wagon, that is still a long way off!


The wagon free's itself from the rivers clutches but at the same time the Indians have landed
and are eager to capture or kill the occupants of the wagon.


Dave's Indians are running as fast as they can, to try and get some action!


John's Indians ford the river.


Smiffy's Ranger patrol, are still trying to help ma Clampet at the river.


The Rangers give fire at any Indian that shows himself, but unfortunately Smiffy couldn't hit a damn thing!


Dave's troops search the houses for any lurking settlers and see if they can find some booty.


Ma Clampet succumbs to a tomahawk blow in the head, well she was screaming!! And the Indians capture lunch, Daisy the cow! The orange markers mean the figures are reloading.


Another shot of Dave's troops swarming through the settlement, the buildings are the newish 4Ground Colonial settler dwellings and are rather nice! I don't like them horrid brown bits on the roof, I'm going to try and sort that out later.


Aha! Dave's Indian finds a ladder, he thinks it may come in handy for the attack on the Fort.


What's left of the Rangers fall back to the safety of the Fort, firing as they retire, hence the puffs of smoke!


"Oh Damn!" said John, he didn't really say that, but I couldn't possibly repeat the words he used !!
The problem was John just realised he left one of his French Militia at the start line 
and we were 6 turns into the game by now. Ha ha ha!


The captured wagon moved forward and was being used as cover!


As a great round of fire, where Smiffy missed absolutely every shot, he even missed 
the horse pulling the wagon!!! Poor chap!


The Indians head for the main gate of the Fort covered  by the Wagon.


More troops arrive ready for the assault on the fort shooting as they arrive.


John's French Militia approach the left side of the fort and exchange fire with the defenders.


Blimey its getting crowded here!!! As Dave masses his forces for the assault!


Charge!!!!
The assault is well under way, even the Indian with the ladder made it to the fight!


Them pesky Injuns are everywhere!
The Indians have stormed over the walls and make it into the fort, they quickly over run the last remaining defenders scalping and murdering as they go.
The game went to the wire if the Indians had not killed or captured the last settlers this turn, due to their heavy casualties they would have been forced to retreat, thus losing the game. But they didn't as Dave had some very lucky dice rolls, which one the French and Indians the game.


Dave (Indian's and Coureur de Bois), Smiffy ( Settlers) and John French/Canadian Militia and Indians.

I hope they enjoyed the game as I hope you enjoyed my first foray into Blogging

PS Ray typed this out as I dictated the battle report, as I'm an illiterate Git!!!
Ray said that not me!



72 comments:

  1. One of the best posts this blog has ever had sir.....one of the posts on any blog I've ever read in fact!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Batrep Postie, your a natural! Looks like a great game, pity we had to miss it. Now we just need you to set up your own blog you can nick all of Rays followers (he only writes tosh anyway).

      Delete
    2. He accuses me of writing tosh!!!

      Delete
    3. Francisssssss its me, I've got my own Google account now!!!!

      Delete
  2. Great batrep, Postie! The figures and terrain look brilliant, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Curt long time no see, I'll be checking on Ray's painting quality for the Challenge! Hope its not the normal crap he pushes out for me??

      Delete
  3. It's always a great pleasure to look at such reports, plenty of beautiful pics and figures...love the river and the canoes!
    Best,
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The canoes do look nice, I think they're Redoubt figures?? I'll ask Postie tomorrow.

      Delete
    2. Yes they are indeed Redout as are most of the figures on the table, although there are a few Front Rank figures thrown in for good measure.

      Delete
  4. Crowded but fun! I like the boats. Nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that from now on this blog will have posts from guests every time! Such a refreshment it is!
    Welcome in the world of blogger Postie! (I hope the rent wasn't to high for posting on this blog! ;-))

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can you expect from Ray? He probably rented the space in exchange of painted minis for Curt's challenge. Sandbagging badger guys;)

      Delete
    2. He dragged my round by the scruff of my neck, put put words of wisdom to the photos I took of the game, he kept bitching at me!

      Delete
    3. Poor Postie!

      Greetings
      Peter

      Delete
  6. I like the looks of that game, Postie. The figures and terrain are also great looking; love that fort and the settlers in side. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean I like to try and make an interesting looking game if possible, civilian figures really add to the game, especially in this period and when they're unarmed.

      Delete
  7. Jolly good batrep on the doings at the fort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken, it was a very enjoyable game to umpire, me being the evil umpire after all! Especially when Smiffy got his wagon stuck with his first throw of the dice. I did say to him Don't throw a one.....too late!!

      Delete
  8. Greate AAR, very nice pictures !

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Fort is stunning. Did you make that mate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it did actually belong to Reject Francis, but he had one of his mid-life crisis's and started to sell some of his acquired booty for I might add an extortionate amount of money as he is a shafter! I'm not actually sure where it comes from, I think it may be an old Gallia model???

      Delete
  10. very nice to see the Honourable General post himself in this hallowed of blogs! Great batrep and very nice mini's/ terrain as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Surely between us we can help Postie set up his own account and blog... if Ray and Fran can manage it I'm sure Postie can?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray did and I'm here after your blood, I was with Ray the other day I saw your true colour painted very vividly on Facebook. And No you haven't seen my Zardoz costume .........yet???

      Delete
  12. Lots of fun. And I'll never follow a man named Smiffy into battle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We try not too either, if at all possible, just ask Fran and Ray! Lets just say the lift doesn't always go to the top with poor Smiffy.

      Delete
  13. Great debut post err Postie. Great battle report look forward to more. I had to chuckl at the coward hiding in the trees until turn 7. Something I'd probably do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was funny Simon, poor John didn't think so though.

      Delete
  14. Not a bad job for someone with no computer. Frankly, I've seen worse from avid techies. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replies
    1. Yes, I don't class us as normal either??

      Delete
    2. You guys are WAY better than normal.

      Delete
    3. PS: Where is your blog? I tried to find one but only see G+

      Delete
  16. A magnificent report Postie (Ok Ray you'll have to tell him as I don't think he'll get to read all the comments.) Top notch. Nice figures, nice compact scenario, nice terrain. What is there not to like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don not worry old boy, he'll know!

      Delete
    2. Hi Clint, believe it or not I am reading and trying to answer all the comments.

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. Thanks Vince, hows that git Fran at work, does he enjoy taking orders from you or does he do what he likes as per normal?

      Delete
  18. Great looking game and action - always nice to see civvies getting involved in the action. Good also to see Postie getting dragged kicking and screaming into this blogging lark if only indirectly! Hope to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Help, Ray's holding me down, making me talk into this thingy machine, why does he keep pressing all them letters?? I'm now going to play my 33rpm records, back to the real world for me.

      Delete
  19. Yeh yeh, I suppose you want boobs every post you dirty perv!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Outstanding looking game and AAR Postie!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  21. Nice guest post. I hope Postie will do more in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, I may do, but its usually the 3 stooges who posts, I'm too busy trying keep the rabble in order. Fran and Lee mainly.

      Delete
    2. And not Ray???? I get a strong feeling here that this isn't a real post of Postie, but from Ray!

      Greetings
      Peter

      Delete
  22. Fantastic report and great photos Postie! Oh, and nice typing Ray!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am working Ray hard, he needs the exercise.

      Delete
  23. That looks like a great game. Thanks for share it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I thought Ray's blog needed a wash and brush up, did someone mention Boobs?

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great Batrep and lovely painted figures there.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice report and a good looking game. Welcome to blogger Postie, hope to hear more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good looking gaming table with lots of very nice figures and terrain.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Some nice terrain and figures and a really good AAR. It's pitty not to read more from Postie.

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great looking game:-)

    Jason.

    ReplyDelete