Pages

Friday, 21 August 2026

Retreat from Moscow - 25mm Battle Honours Cantinieres or Vivandieres

 


Back in June, Keith over at Bydad blog posted up some pics of some luvvly painted ladies, from Battle Honours here. I thought they would fit in pretty well with my Retreat from Moscow French.


I was a little surprised when the figures arrived in the post looking like they'd been attacked by a giant spider, but I've ot bought a lot of printed figures before, so I guess this is the norm?


Now of course I needed to winterize these luvvly ladies, so out came the Greenstuff, but halfway through I ran out, so instead of waiting for more to arrive, I used some kitchen towel and smothered it in PVA glue, which worked a treat!



I've lost most of the fab detail that was on the figures, but thought they'd like to bit a little warmer?


If you look closely at the figure on the left you can make out the circular pattern on the kitchen towel, but I think it add to the effect?

I must say I'm pleased with my new ladies, so thanks must go to Keith for pointing them out!!!



30 comments:

  1. Great looking winterizing of the lovely Battle Honours ladies, Ray! I will have to remember these when I return to my Napoleonics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liked Keith's versions and yours with their home made cloaks and blankets are smashing too.

    Yet to purchase 3D prints where the supports haven't been cleaned off aside form the very first print I ever bought. Almost feel like that should factor into the price?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking about it, I think I could have bought cleaned versions, but was too tight.

      Delete
  3. Nice result! The first figure I had printed at the local library as a test came out with so much flash, super structure, and webbing that I felt like a sculptor chipping away everything that wasn't the model.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The thought of removing all those supports is what puts me off printed figures. I know some suppliers offer figures already cleaned up but hat seems to push the price higher than metal. However there are often a lot of things you can only get printed. Either way, you have done a great job cleaning them up and adding the cloaks, and they look great painted Ray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Battle Honours did offer exactly that, but I'm not sure how much it would cost? I'd certainly buy more 3D printed figures.

      Delete
  5. Nice work Ray. I am glad you followed through and got these - they look fab with the added winter cloaks!
    For anyone looking at the first picture with trepidation, I found the Battle Honours figures (in particular) very easy to clean up. Hopefully Ray will add his thoughts in his reply, but I recall, I really just had to apply a little pressure with my thumb, and the supports "peeled" off like the skin of an easy peel mandarin orange - no hassle at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have checked - it's actually the second picture, obviously!

      Delete
    2. Your right Keith, they did come off more easily than I thought. I was very unsure though what I actually had to take off, so I kept going back to the picture on their site to check.

      Delete
  6. Nice work Ray they look pretty cold to me ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great result Ray.
    I had to remove some supports from some 3D buildings I purchased. A bit of a bother but for the value and result just part of the hobby experience now 😁
    Only a little more tricky than clipping plastic pieces off a sprue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't be so sceptical, the next time I buy 3D printed items that's for sure, now the world really is my oyster!!!

      Delete
  8. Lovely work Ray, they'll look great in a game

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ray,

    Great job winterising those ladies! The home-made cloaks give them a wonderfully desperate, cold look that captures the 1812 retreat perfectly. A brilliant addition to your 25mm French collection.

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicely done Ray, they have worked a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sir M, I'm pleased how they turned out.

      Delete
  11. I always think the supports look a scary prospect, but they seem to come away easily without leaving any footprint. The paper tissue idea is very nicely executed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very brave of you to modify those figures and the final result is quite successful so good on you mate! I’ve been eyeing those Battle Honours figures for a while and may try some.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing those are the same figures. And I can't see the towel mark...

    ReplyDelete