A bit of a different post from me today, so it'll make a change.
Early in September it was my daughter no3 Holly's graduation ceremony at Canterbury Cathedral.
I did feel sorry for her the few days before were blistering sunshine and on her day it didn't stop raining all damn day! So it kind of ruined what her and her pals had planned for photos and the like. We were there pretty early, (Mrs R always like to get to places far too early for my liking) But who am I to argue? We were standing outside the Cathedral for around an hour while it was chucking it down and had another hour or so to go till the start of the ceremony, when Holly says we could stand around in the Cloisters, some people are having photos there. It was a face palm moment, so a big group of us wandered around the other side of the grounds into the cloisters where believe it or not it wasn't raining!!! So there we stood, taking loads of photos of Holly and her pals in their gowns. Perfect we got all the photos we needed.......BUT we still had some time to kill, so I took a walk around the cloisters.
The first 3 pics are inside the Cathedral a little later.
On my stroll around the cloisters I began to notice all the old graffiti, scratched into the stone work, so I've taken some pics to share with you.
Mrs R and Mother in law and Riley
I just find this fascinating, knowing that these people back in 1603 and 1764, carved their names or initials into the walls. I wonder what happened if they were caught?
Not sure what these are?
I hope you enjoyed this echo in time as much as I did?
And how could I not include my Proud Dad moment!!
Holly on her graduation.
She's very embarrassed about being on my blog, for all the old farts to see, that was her saying that not me!


























Thanks for sharing Ray...so interesting! Congratulations young lady - from one of the old farts! πππ»πΎπ₯
ReplyDeleteThanks Dave...lol!
DeleteCongrats to Holly. I enjoyed a visit to Canturbury a few yers back.
ReplyDeleteIts a great city, lots of nightlife for the students!!!
DeleteCongratulations to Holly on her graduation.
ReplyDeleteThanks Neil.
DeleteCongratulations to your daughter Ray. The old graffiti is very interesting, although at the time the village elders must have been wondering what society was coming to.
ReplyDeleteAgreed, not sure how they got away with it.....or did they?
Deleteπ₯³πΎπΈπ
ReplyDeleteThanks Aleksey!
DeleteCongratulations Holly and Ray!
ReplyDeleteCheers Jon!
DeleteCongrats on the big day, for Holly and the family.
ReplyDeleteThanks Ed.
DeleteCongratulations to your daughter Ray and some very interesting pictures of the cathedral, it's such an impressive building.
ReplyDeleteIt sure is Donnie.
DeleteCongratulations Holly (from Old Fart), a great day for you.
ReplyDeleteIt was Norm, thanks.
DeleteCongratulations π π
ReplyDeleteThanks Michal.
DeleteCracking post, Ray, and massive congratulations to Holly on her graduation! A very proud moment indeed. The pictures of the cathedral cloisters and the old carved graffiti are brilliant—fascinating to see those marks left behind across the centuries.
ReplyDeleteAll the best, Andy
It brings history to life.....for me anyway?
DeleteCongratulations Holly. A great venue to have ones graduation.
ReplyDeleteIndeed it was Rich, thanks!
DeleteWell, I will add my congratulations, and you can tell Holly she is lucky she knows she is on your blog - I put the photos of my daughter's graduation up without her knowledge! When we visited Exeter Cathedral 11 years ago, there was a lot of similar historical criminal damage there too!
ReplyDeleteThanks Keith.
DeleteToo bad about the rain, but good they were at Canterbury!
ReplyDeleteCheers Joe.
DeleteCongratulations Holly and proud dad Ray.
ReplyDeleteThanks Dave
DeleteCongratulations Ray, job well done mum and dad (and the young one!). An impressive place to have the graduation, too. We have to enjoy those proud dad moments when we can! Cheers, Aaron
ReplyDeleteWe certainly do Aaron.
DeleteNice Ray proud father moment π as it happens my brother is a stonemason on the Cathederal and having been brought up in Folkestone I know it quite well.
ReplyDeleteOh wow, what a fab job! I never realised you are from Kent?
DeleteWell done Holly. I hope the Old Bugger behaved himself!!
ReplyDeleteNever!
DeleteGreat post and congratulations to Holly!
ReplyDeleteThanks Alastair.
DeleteIt is a lovely father/daughter moment.
ReplyDeleteMine was last year so I know how you feel.
It was scorching hot in July 2025 at Norfolk University!
Excellent!!!
DeleteCongratulations Holly!
ReplyDeleteI hope you carved her name into the wall Ray π
Oooo, I should have done shouldn't I???
DeleteCongratulations to Holly, Ray. About 40 years ago I heard Evening Song in Canterbury Cathedral. A great experience.
ReplyDeleteOh wow!
DeleteCongrats to one and all Ray and some great graffitti there to enjoy:).
ReplyDelete