Tuesday, 6 October 2026

Bolt Action - Russo/Finnish War 1939 - Test Game Batrep

 


While the wife is away, Ray shall play!
Mrs R flew off to Nashville Tennessee yesterday for a 10 day holiday with her pal. So I've taken the week off to do some boy stuff!
.

First off Lee came round today and we played a test game of Bolt Action, using our Russians and Fins we both painted up last year

This isn't really a battle report as such, its more a small selection of photos of our 500 point v 500 point game


I knew Lee would bring along at least 1 tank, so I included an Anti-Tank Rifle and a Squad armed with Satchel Charges both to try and knock out the tank. Both failed miserably!


My HQ, hide at the back. While my Lahti-Saloranta Anti-Tank Rifle Team, hit bugger all all game!


While I had a bit more luck shooting with my Medium Machine Gun and Mortar (just outta shot bottom right)


Although they played with the same amount of points the Russians outnumbered the Fins.
But boy are those Fins powerful!


But this charge just about killed off any Russian hope of winning.  I threw 7 dice needing 3+, Lee threw 12 dice needing 5+.  I killed 6 to Lee's 4. Meaning Lee's unit was destroyed.


My MG and Riflemen finally had the range to finish off Lee's Squad in the town.


T'was a very enjoyable game and I fear for anyone playing the Russians!!!
The Russian's left the field of battle after losing 2 Squad of infantry and a Mortar team. The Finns lost a Squad of Infantry and another only had a single man left, but everything else was still on the table.

We both learnt a lot about the rules which work very well, we just have to redo the QRS to include all the bits and bobs that you need handy for both sides, mainly the inner workings of the Finns, who, I'll say it again are deadly!!!

The main thing I learnt was the Finns need a Medium or Heavy Anti Tank Artillery piece, you can't count on Satchel Charges and an Anti Tank Rifle, that's for sure.

Well bring a similar game to the rest of the Rejects soon.......I hope?


49 comments:

  1. Nicely done Ray and good to see those figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased we got them out on the table OB.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see a different winter game, for some reason I havent given the bolt action Finn player a game at the club, based on this AAR I dont think I should?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Lee was shocked, they quite rightly have an elite fighting force that's a right bugger to play against. Especailly as historically most of the Russian squads were badly led raw troops. Its all about the numbers over quaility for the Russians.

      Delete
  3. Nice to see some of the superb winter terrain in action again. I have never played Bolt Action but from your AAR it seems quite enjoyable and fast-paced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quote impressed if I'm being honest, they were quite easy to pick up. And for me....that's saying somthing!

      Delete
  4. Wow, wow. A 10-day trip. That's very cool. Hope Mrs. Rayola had/has a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When the cat's away, the mice will play! Good to see your Russo-Finish War project out on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great getting a game together....at last!

      Delete
  6. Nice setup.
    At least your wife waited until it was cooler to hit the States. This week has been our first taste of almost Autumn in the South.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finns have some tough troops with nasty rules. Have yet to play against a Finn army though, so all I know is through others' reports.
    Saying all that, my Soviets have been rather good in my games, but then I play mainly Mid-Late War lists - might need to invest in some Earlier Armour options to try out.

    Great looking game Ray - still in love with your Winter setups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Finn's are pretty evil, but the Russians are all inexperinaced squads, so its very difficult for them....lol.

      Delete
  8. Fantastic to see the winter terrain on the table Ray.
    A great win for the Fins, but who painted the eyes on that AT Rifle team ? 😁

    A wonder if these games would be better for the Russians if you played the same scenario again, except the Russians come back at full force and the Fins come back with what was left from the last game .... maybe make it a bit tougher for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted a Marty Feldman lookalike, Ben. The Russians need more points than the Finns, that's for sure.

      Delete
  9. Great looking game Ray, lovely table.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the game! I actually live not far from the place where the Russo‑Finnish War began. There’s an open‑air museum near me where many Finnish fortifications (the Mannerheim Line) have been preserved

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wooow! That's looking amazing! Beautiful terrains!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking game and good to see these troops getting a run out. It all seemed historical to me, with the Russians getting a right pasting each time they attacked, until towards the end when attrition and better commanders began to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked just like it should have done, like you said. Next game we'll give the Russians more units.

      Delete
  13. Making good use of your winter terrain.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That game was quite an eye opener. I thought I had you then that close combat disabused my delusions in a matter of seconds. Back to the drawing board for the next game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty sure you will heading for a gulag or worse Lee!

      Delete
    2. The combat was brutal, glad I painted up the Finns!

      Delete
  15. Splendid report, Ray! Nothing quite like having the house to yourself for a proper week of wargaming. Those Winter War troops and winter terrain look dead impressive on the table—even if the Finns proved to be absolute lethal!

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super to see your Finnish project out on the table. Glad that the rules worked for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Rich, we'll bring the game to the Rejects soon.

      Delete
  17. Good to see the Winter War stuff get an outing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly is Sgt. It was great getting them on tbe table.

      Delete
  18. Good to see them on the table before this winter Ray. And well done on stuffing the commies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. I did feel sorry for Lee.......for around 6 seconds!

      Delete
  19. Lovely table Ray and Bolt Action just makes it so easy for a good narrative game to reach the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the rules. They are simple but make for a great game.

      Delete
  20. Fun in the snow was had by all it appears - lovely looking figures and terrain.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice game Ray but give me 10 days in Nashville, love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't allowed, it was a girls only trip. Don't get me wrong, I wanted to go to Nashville more than MrsR ever did!

      Delete
  22. Looks very smart and a win with it. Doesn't get a lot better than that

    ReplyDelete