Thursday 11 June 2020

Raid on Jacobstown - a kind of FIW batrep via Zoom


Zoom......what a brilliant app this is. 
The Rejects have been meeting up online on Zoom for a chat while painting our figures every Monday for the past few weeks. Its great to see the lads and chew the fat for a few hours, we've even had our long lost trio, John, Ian & Fran online. Why we never did this before I don't know, but at least  there's some good come out of this bloody virus!

Anyway, you may recall a few weeks ago Reject Lee put on a What A Tanker game via Zoom, it worked really well, so I volunteered my services and promised the lads a Donnybrook game via Zoom. Now this was going to be a difficult one, as I don't have a table, or any terrain!!! 
So out came my wallet to purchase a small b
oard and paint. I can't fit a large table in my shed so its only 4 x 2 feet.
As the table was small I decided to use some of my 15mm FIW collection, (which has only ever seen action once before, many many moons ago!) 
As its FIW you need trees? Lots of trees! I found some on ebay from treefella.1 for a very reasonable price and ordered some. I also made up some tree bases from 2mm MDF, just to make the trees go further.
Next........I need a river? I did look at some on ebay, but decided I'd make it myself, I'm pretty pleased with them If I say so myself!! I might do a post on my river another day.
I decided to use Donnybrook rules as they always make for a great game.



I used my mobile for the game so I didn't take many photos! (Tit!)
Here's a few pics of the start.
Raid on Jacobstown June 1758
The French have been raiding up and down the New York countryside for weeks, destroying villages and settlements. A small British force have been on their trail and finally catch up with the French and Indians at Jacobstown. 
The French have captured 5 women and need to get them off table on the opposite side of the town. But also must kill as many redcoats as possible.
The English must recapture the 5 women and destroy the French force.

OOB
French
Commander Ian
1 x Marine 8 figures using a D8
1 x Coueror de Bois 12 figures D8

2iC Richard

2 x Indian Natives 12 figures D8

British

Commander Surj
1 x Grenadier 6 figures D10
1 x 60th Royal Americans 8 figures D8

2iC Lee
1 x Virginia Militia 12 figures D6
1 x Gage's Light Infantry (80th foot) 12 figures D8

1 x Rogers Rangers 12 figures D8
(hidden in the woods)


The French start the game as they are just leaving the burning town, the Brits have just entered on the table edge, apart from Gages's in the wood bottom right and the hidden Rogers Rangers, hidden in the wood in the left of the pic. They would only appear when an enemy unit moves within 2 inches of the single tree in front of the wood.


The Coureor de Bois start the game crossing the river with Richard's 2 Native units behind. The Marines are the only semi formed unit on the French side hence the rectangle base.
Gage's start the game in fire range of the Marines with the Militia on their flank. The Grenadiers start behind the town with the 60th on the far side.


The tree bases represent heavy woods while the open areas are lighter woods.


The heroic Coureor de Bois who fired the last shots of the game and tipped the Brits over their morale threshold.


Richard leads the captured women away into slavery.


The 60th have taken a battering from Richard's other Native unit.


A lone Grenadier stands firm, the Militia and Gage's hardly moved for the whole game, but di both manage to destroy the Marines.


This is where the game was won and lost, The cards came out in favour of the French, they shot and nearly destroyed the Rangers, leaving a huge gap for Richard's captives to get away.


There's only 1 Ranger left, and he's in a bad way!


It was a close game, the French only needed 1 more casualty themselves to be forced to take an army morale check. But as the cards came out in the French favour victory went to them.

I will be doing another game soon, this time I'll take pics as I go on!


19 comments:

  1. Game looks great, Ray! I have yet to try Zoom for an online gaming session but your Rejects are using this media to good use and are becoming seasoned vets. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure after the Lockdown ends will carry on our painting sessions and maybe even still play the odd game online as well.

      Delete
  2. Great to hear that you are all meeting up and having a blast. Those rivers look spot on too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great you were able to play a game with Zoom. Might be another option for times when everyone can't get together in one place as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm sure we'll continue our zoom sessions!

      Delete
  4. Looks grand, makes me want to dig out my F&IW stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done getting a game in with real-life opposition !
    Eevn on a restrictive sized board it still seems the game flowed well even if a bit bloody!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It flowed very well and was a bloody affair!

      Delete
  6. Sounds great. It’s nice to see that this pandemic has not stopped your groups get togethers and gaming. Way to use technology! And way to go on pulling a game together.
    I’m so boring I’ve only used zoom for home schooling. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on Stew, get it sorted and get a game going!

      Delete
  7. As long as they are not looting the local Walmart....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab game Ray! Great to see you still managed to pull off a group game!

    ReplyDelete