Friday 6 May 2011

Edward Prince of Wales, Banner and Flag 1471 WotR

In March I received an email from a fellow gamer, Greg, in LA. He liked the flags and banners I'd been making for the Battle of Flodden, so he asked me If I'd be interested in a commission to make some War of the Roses flags for him for the Battle of Tewkesbury. How could I resist???
The flags and banners he required were for Edward, Prince of Wales and Lord Wenlock, Greg kindly agreed for us to share the flags with you, the wargaming community.
The first flag was made from a description of Edward's flag from a copy of Hobilar, while the second was copied from an illustration from the another Hobilar booklet. Greg also wanted some livery flags, these were made from the descriptions Greg gave me with a little artistic license.
Edward, Prince of Wales, who was the Lancastrian heir to the throne of England, was killed during the battle or as some believe, be-headed shortly after the battle. Prince Edward was present in the centre battle of the Lancastrian force commanded by Lord Wenlock. Edward who was only 18, lacked command experience, but was no stranger to the battlefield, his mother Margaret of Anjou had previously at the age of 7, given him the task of condemning the death the Yorkist prisoners taken at the Second Battle of St Albans. Edward had Lord Bonville and Sir Thomas Kyriell beheaded.






19 comments:

  1. Excellent stuff Ray!!

    Looking forward to seeing some Yorkist banners too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice looking flags (and banners). Thanks for sharing.

    Regards,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever i visit this blog, i found something new on this blog. Thanks for sharing these cool banners designs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very talented with the banners - well done.

    Frank
    http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, they are lovely but done on my dime, the ungrateful git.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you mean "time" my LITTLE oirish pixie??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't realise you made them. Do you freehand or find the images? If freehand, it's even more impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Porky - A bit of both, if I can find an image free online, I use it, if not I have to draw it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool - I'll keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Ray, you have been nominated for the stylish blogger award.

    http://napoleonicadventures.blogspot.com/2011/05/stylish-blogger-nomination.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. The banner and flags look top notch!

    ReplyDelete