Its back to the 25mm Retreat from Moscow project for todays post. I did want to have a few wagons in our first big game at Broadside, but ran out of time.
My plan was or should I say is, to paint up a dozen or so wagons, so we can field a large wagon train running away from Moscow.
So here are the first two. This one is from Iron Gate Scenery with a Redoubt horse.
With a Warbases load.
The next wagon and cart load are both from Depot Battalion, sold by Warbases, The two horses are Iron Gate.
Now the problem I found is I couldn't find French Napoleonic drivers sold singularly. Most nowadays are sold along with a wagon. Now of course, I'm painting up French figures who should look cold, preferably in a great coat. What to do?
I searched through my massive box of unpainted figures and found these two figures, which are actually, Depot Battalion c17th Century Civilians.
The big cuffed coat worn in that period looks very similar to a Napoleonic French greatcoat. I did need to file the cuffs down a little and replaced the floppy hatted heads with some Warlord plastic heads. I'm very pleased how they came out!
These are superb Ray
ReplyDeleteThanks Neil!
DeleteThe carts have a simple yet effective paint scheme.
ReplyDeleteIndeed they do Phil! I wanted them to look worn our and damaged due to the weather.
DeleteGreat work Ray and clever conversions too - it's going to look pretty impressive when you have a dozen of these on a snow-white table!
ReplyDeleteI hope so, it should make for a good game?
DeleteThat is a fine pair of wagons. Front Rank sells single figure limber riders. I wonder if that could be converted although your civilian drivers fit the bill.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jon. I've got a couple of the Front Rank riders and some from Redoubt too. They'll be going on wagons they I can't fit a driver on.
DeleteExcellent wagons Ray!
ReplyDeleteThanks Cyrus!
DeleteWooow! Fantastic wagons!
ReplyDeleteOh, I guess your post also appeared with a significant delay? This blogger thing has been going crazy for a while now.
Its driving me crazy!!
DeleteNice improvisation with the wagon drivers. The wagons look great and your basing for these, and all the retreat from Moscow figures, looks very effective.
ReplyDeleteThanks Peter, I'm glad you like them.
DeleteTop shelf work Ray and the driver conversions work really well.
ReplyDeleteThanks Lawrence, I'm pleased how they came out.
DeleteVery nice Ray. Does this mean there might be another scenario being released? 😁
ReplyDeleteYou never know, Ben? No plans at the moment, but never say never!
DeleteThey are very nice indeed Ray, great work on them and very nice conversions of the drivers, they work really well. A dozen of them should be some sight on the table.
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to seeing them in a long line myself!
DeleteLovely wagons for the Retreat!
ReplyDeleteThanks Dean!
DeleteVery nice indeed
ReplyDeleteCheers Andy
Glad you approve, Andy!
DeleteBeautiful models beautifully painted and based, Ray. Brilliant work.
ReplyDeleteThanks, I'm pleased you like them!
DeleteThose are very cool!
ReplyDeleteCheers Alex!
DeleteI do like the warbase wagons and was going to mention Colonel Bill’s for drivers.
ReplyDeleteThere’s always something very satisfying about a conversion.
I like the difference in colour tone of the wooden wagons and the wooden cargo, gives a good chilly effect.
The Col Bill drivers are more like private drivers than soldiers unfortunately. But the 18th C ones work very well, with a little conversion work. About the colours, I wanted them to look worn out and cold, which like you said I think I've achieved?
DeleteGreat work Ray
ReplyDeleteThank you Dave!
DeleteExcellent work Ray and the figures work a treat:).
ReplyDeleteI'm very pleased how they turned out, Steve.
DeleteNice work Ray 👍
ReplyDeleteThanks Matt!
DeleteNice wagons and smart work with the drivers!
ReplyDeleteBest Iain
Cheers Iain, I think they work well.
DeleteWith all those carts and wagons you will have the best logistics company in Napoleonic europe.
ReplyDeleteGreat looking pieces.
LOL, that's the plan!!!
DeleteHead swaps? Wow, wouldn't have known had you not said so. Good stuff Ray, these are great!
ReplyDeleteThanks Dai!
DeleteThey look great Ray and a good bit of improvisation with the drivers.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes, James
Thanks James!
DeleteNicely done sir. You always seem to be painting wither wagons or gun carriages... I bet youb have hundreds squirrelled away by now!
ReplyDeleteI do have a few yes, but, I'm waiting for a few Russian wagons to appear?
DeleteExcellent additions, Ray.
ReplyDeleteThanks Rich!
DeleteI love the wagons. They look fun to shoot.
ReplyDeleteIndeed they do, Whisk!
Delete