Friday 20 July 2018

What a Tanker in the Desert Batrep - Skirmish at Siniyat 1940


The Rejects got together last Sunday for our first game of What a Tanker. BigLee was the ref and what a sterling job he did to! Here's a link to Lee's report on the game.


Four Rejects turned up for the fight, myself and Richard were the Italians, while James & Posties played the Brits.
The Setup

The game was set in later 1940 and represented a side skirmish of tanks that randomly encountered each other. Vehicles from both sides had been sent to the small village of Siniyat which although abandoned by the locals could be used as a supply depot by either side. Four players started the game each with a single Level one tank each but I brought on three more tanks as the game progressed to keep things moving. As this was a 'learning the rules' test game I also gave all players a couple of special cards to help spice things up. The result was an educational experience!




Order of Battle
Italians
   M11/39 Medium Tanks x3
   L6/40 Light Tank x1  



British
   A9 (Cruiser Mk I) x2   
   A10 (Cruiser Mk II) x1



Me and Richard had a simple plan, get in the middle of the field, straight into the village
for a little protection.


Postie and James, set up close to either side of their edge. Posties A9 can be seen top left,
James unfortunately isn't in the pic, but he's roughly opposite Posties tank. 


Oh there he is!


I didn't get enough movement to get me safely over the wadi, so I hid behind some cover.
James is moving very quickly!!


James moves up, acquires me as a target, and shoots all in one go!!


Richard moves into the town getting ready to attack Postie.


OH CRAP! 
That didn't go to plan did it?
Posties first shot, blows up poor Richard's tank!


Sod that then, I ain't moving from this cover!!!


Evil Postie with a shiny head!
Richard got a replacement tank, which can just about be seen on the top right hill.


My Gaming mat. I've already lost 2 dice due to that terror James!


I threw well for movement and made a dash for the village. James followed....


Postie and Richard slug it out hill to hill.


Both sides got another tank, I got an L6 while James got another A10.


Cat and mousse in the centre.


But I got a nice rear shot straight up the Khyber!!


Another shot from a different angle, it didn't get much better than this!


Richard had tremendous movement dice over the next 2 turns and got right around Postie back.
Me and James were driving around the village having a jolly good time!


My two game mats. Note the M11 has only 2 dice left to throw each turn?!?


I make a rush out of the village but James follows.


Here we go again!!
Richard's second tank goes bye bye! This time a long shot from Jame does the damage!


I felt sorry for Richard and gave over control of my damaged M11.


Richard 1 & 2 still billowing out thick black smoke!



Bloody hell, Richard really was the kiss of death in this game.
He didn't even get a chance to move, before his son and heir blew his tank up for the third time!


I called the game there and then. 
We the Italians couldn't handle a 2 v 2 or 3 v 3 let alone a 3 v 1.
My L6 turned around and trundle off back to base.

Conclusion

What a great game, when I looked at the game as we started, I thought it'd be over in no time at all, but how wrong was I. We stared off at 10 and finished at 2.30. All ready for Richard and James (wearing his French footie shirt) to get back home to watch the World Cup final. 
I gotta admit I really enjoyed this game, the subtle tactics and frustrating dice throwing really add to the what the hells going on fog of war.
Can't wait for game number 2, well done Mr H!

42 comments:

  1. Great pictures mate, glad you enjoyed the game. I learned a lot running this game and I'll incorporate the lessons in my next game. I think we'll also start off with multiple vehicles next time now that you have had some experience with the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking game - What a Tanker really does seem fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, really like the idea and a game of cat and mousse can't be ignored, or imagined

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bought two g with a spot of cat and mousse Martin. Especially if it's strawberry flavoured?

      Delete
  4. Great looking scenics and models, this game is becoming pretty popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check it out Lee, if you haven't already. Its great fun.

      Delete
  5. Great stuff, Ray. I bought those rules on a whim and have been waiting for someone to give me an idea as to what they're like. Marvellous posting :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, glad to be of some assistance Simon!

      Delete
  6. Great looking tanks and terrain, Ray! I played these rules only once, but I like them a lot - great for getting a bunch of tanks on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like your tanks, very smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not mine I'm afraid George. They're all from Lee's growing collection.

      Delete
  8. Nicely presented game, everyone seems to be liking the rules, they should do well for The Lardies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they will Norm. They're simple but very effective and give a great game.

      Delete
  9. It is an excellent game. Much harder with awkward dice than one would first think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dice play havoc, with you're plans. But that's the fun of it. On one turn I threw excellent command dice. I could fire and reload 3 times. That was it for James' tank.....or so I thought? I missed each time throwing under 6 with two D6!!
      For some reason everyone laughed at me???

      Delete
  10. I am hearing so many great things about this game, fabulous report Ray, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're well worth the price Sir M. Might we see a few 15mm Panzers on your blog soon? I wonder?

      Delete
  11. Sounds like an awesome game!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a great looking game Ray! I do need to try this at some point.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice report. It seems like a really fun game Ray!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great looking game, sounds like a load of fun!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  15. That seemed a lot of fun and fairly east to pick up an play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a very easy to pick up, but also very effective.

      Delete
  16. Great looking game
    Like the sand swirl marker for movement

    ReplyDelete
  17. We played our first games in the dessert as well. Great little game. As you say, at first you think it's going to be over in a trice and then you find you're still banging away at eachother a few hours later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its great fun, I'm looking forward to our next bash whenever that will be.

      Delete