Tuesday 6 September 2022

Donnybrook - Vienna 1683 - Polish Artilley

 


These figures were prepped and undercoated for me to paint up in the last Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge. Unfortunately they didn't make it. They were sitting on my desk looking all forlorn, so I thought I'd better give them a lick of paint. 


For some reason I had a lot of trouble finding Polish artillerymen for my Vienna 1683 project, no one except Old Glory seems to make them?  And I certainly didn't need 30 figures! 


All the figures bar one are from Essex Miniatures, the chap on the left drinking a bottle of Mrs Migginski's finest Vodka was a freebie from The Assault Group. I didn't know how I was going to use the figure, so decided he'd make a good artilleryman.


I had to use a Spearman, Standard Bearer and Halbardier  from Essex's Renaissance Polish range to make up the 4 crew of my gun and a spare Polish Officer, I bought just incase and also another commander, this one dressed in western uniform. The gun is actually a British Napoleonic piece standing in as Polish, shhhh don't tell anyone.


50 comments:

  1. They look wonderful Ray. I gave an Essex Polish Renaissance army that’s due for an outing in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look much better painted. Well done. And those two chaps in the front look a bit dapper-happy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice work Ray, and good thinking on figure selection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. How many artillery pieces have you painted in your gaming career I wonder?? Looking good though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just use any Western-style artillerymen, Polish crew tend to manned by foreigners and Poles dressed in Western-style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work Ray. I thought TAG made Polish crew but am probably mistaken. I think I have four of that figure drinking the Polish vodka.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How to comment on a great looking artillery piece - BOOM! thats how.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice work Ray but I am concerned about your Health and Safety planning....vodka and firing large pieces of ordnance don't go well together...look out for friendly fire issues and a lot of investigations in the future for this crew!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job! Good use of figures for another purpose. 😀I won’t tell anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They certainly deserved a lick of paint. Nice job pressing these different arms of service into the artillery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They turned out great mate!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely work on them, they have turned out really well. Hope the guy hitting the bottle isn't the aimer!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look great, Ray 👍. If you’re doing more crew in the future then TAG do a pack of Polish ‘workers’ that are open handed that could be used for crew, I think. Also, as Kadrinazi says, add in some chaps in Western kit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look great and nice to see a bit of old-school conversion being done.. hope they aren't letting the bloke with the vodka bottle do the aiming!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice crew, didn’t realise Mrs Miggins was economic migrant.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look the part Ray… I suppose you could always include a couple of Western European types to represent professional/ mercenary gunners.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  17. Splendidly lubricated Polish gun crew!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Donnybrook figures, wo'd have thought ?

    ReplyDelete