Sunday, 30 August 2026

My 3D printed Cow blew up!

 


I started sorting out a few of my boxes of figures in my new Redoubt, when I came across this poor chap.
I mean what the hell has happened to him?
Its as though the figure has burst?


And what's even stranger is the figure and base are wet and sticky?


Has anyone else seen or heard of this worrying problem. Are we gonna see all 3D printed figures blow up like this?

Any ideas anyone?

50 comments:

  1. Yes, I've read of similar happening to 3D printed WW2 tanks over on the LAF's General Wargames and Hobby Discussion board. I'm no expert and can't remember what was said, but such as this has happened to a number of other people. [Sorry I can't be of better help.]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=150162.0 "3d printed tank exploded"

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the heads up, Roy.

      Delete
  2. The resin hasn't cured correctly, the outside is solid but the inside is not curing and expanding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had this happen to a armoured car I had 3d printed, it's something to do with the resin not curing properly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd not heard about this kinda thing before?

      Delete
  4. Many years ago I worked for Mr Kipling and there was a story from the 1970s where they sold some spoiled syrup to a cattle darmer, it had fermented. He fed it to his cows on one of the actually exploded

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another reason not to rush into this new tangled printing lark👴🏻

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had never heard of this before nor suspected it could be an issue. Something like this would have me checking my figures on a daily basis, although I suppose they would have to be hollow for this to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best get my drill out and poke it in the other cattle!

      Delete
  7. You know, not many people can say that...
    I'll check with my friend who has 3D printed hundreds of things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think he's bloated from eating bad feed!

    ReplyDelete

  9. This is why I cover my head in tinfoil while painting 3D printed models...I ain't stupid!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sad result Ray. From the LAF discussion it seems you are meant to 'milk' it of its resin. 😁 I hope it was not too expensive, but in any event distressing to lose a figure under any circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even remember who I bought them from, perhaps I'll check the blog, I might have posted about them?

      Delete
  11. I saw something like that once. It was in this film called 'Alien' and a creature was inside the man and ...... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In space no one can hear you scream......when you find your moo cow has blown up!

      Delete
    2. very funny Norm!
      Ray you better check your boxes in case there is an Alien mini lose in there 😂

      Delete
    3. I do hope not? Not with those teeth anyway???

      Delete
  12. Some superglue, some clamps, bit of putty and it'll look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm? I tried pushibg him back in place and he broke in half! Oops!

      Delete
  13. As mentioned by a few others, it's a case of the model being printed hollow but without proper drainage, essentially someone has forgot to put in a hole or two to allow for excess resin to drain out and for the model to be washed from the inside. This then leaves uncured resin trapped within the model, gas builds up, and eventually the model splits and releases the uncured resin - which explains the wet and sticky base. It's a fairly common mistake for printers to make, especially if they're starting out or not checking the model beforehand, and only affects hollow models.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh dear - that is not very nice Ray! All the experts above are presumably correct and its a resin curing issue.....was it a commercial one or printed by a friend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a commercial set. Not sure which company though?

      Delete
  15. Oh dear Lord, that's not gone well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That’s not nice at all. All part of the issue with 3d prints for me and long term durability of it . I me don’t often buy them m hope you get a replacement

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't bought a lot of 3d stuff. Think I best check my other stuff?

      Delete
  17. Not an uncommon problem Ray with Resin prints. Previous comments are correct, it has to be printed hollow but also with drainage holes. It takes skill for sure. And I am still learning how to do it. You have to be careful who you buy from. I printed a lovely 28mm US tank for Vietnam and it exploded after a lovely paint job. It was at that point I decided to learn how to prepare STL for resin printing. One thing you can do is look at the all the other prints that you got from this source and take a drill and sink a couple of holes before they explode.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Exploding cows?!? Sounds like a punchline.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have heard of that happening with the resin not been properly cured, a shame though.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Everyone else has already mentioned the solution, bit of a bummer but luckily for you it wasn't some intricate, large, and expensive 3D print, so a good one to learn from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, hopefully for me and those not in the know, we've all learned a valuable lesson?

      Delete
  21. Very interesting! Looks like it had some expanding gasses inside of the poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry to hear about that mate - must be frustrating
    Now you need rules for chest-burster aliens every time you put one of those onto the table...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh, I'll have to come up with something???? LOL!

      Delete
  23. Yeah as others have mentioned, this is a print that wasn't properly cured. That liquid stuff is pretty toxic (Fine once cured and solid tho) so be sure to clean your work station and self well if it leaked on you. If you come across the effect again (Prior to exploding cow, that is) some simple exposure to sunlight (Actually natural UV rays) will encourage the curing process and sort this out. At least that's what I've read online.

    ReplyDelete