Monday 12 September 2011

Recently Painted No 31 - NYW Dutch Foot Guards (Garde te Voet)



In 1688 a third regiment of Foot Guards were added to the English establishment, (this was not the later Scots Guards as they were still on the Scottish establishment). The Garde te Voet formed the backbone of William III's invasion force of 1688,  along with a number of other Dutch regiments, the Guards were hired and paid for by the English crown, from 1688 until 1699.
The Blew Garde as they were also sometimes known, fought at the Battle of the Boyne, leading the charge across the river to attack Oldbridge. At the the Boyne and the battle of Steenkirke, they were commanded by Graaf Henrik Trajectinus van Solms, who after Steenkirke was blamed by the English foot regts for the failing to support them during the battle, which ultimately lead to their defeat. Solms was killed during the battle of Landen/Neerwinden in 1693, in the defence of the village of Landen.
During the Nine Years War most Dutch regiments were made of a single battalion, however the Dutch Guard had three. The three battalions contained nine companies in the first and second battalions and eight in the third.
The figures are from Essex miniatures, painted and based by myself. I also made the flags with a little help from an article by Bill on The Wars of Louis Quatroze blog. Check out the site for more info on William's Dutch Guards. I was unsure what to do for the second flag, so once again borrowed a few ideas from Barry's gallery on the League of Augsburg website and also from an old copy of Wargames Illustrated, sorry I can't remember which issue.
So whith the Dutch Guard finished, I've now got to decide what other three Dutch units to paint?? I'm thinking of painting, Brandenberg and Slangenberg as they were also both in English pay for the period and I've got flags for them, so only one remains, any suggestion??????????
Thanks for looking

Ray








28 comments:

  1. Nice unit but terrible use of my resources and time as you've spent hours outside the security gatehouse taking different pictures for hours you git.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous work Ray. You can stand around outside my gatehouse with your figures any time you like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good use of time lol. they are very nice I just can't even bring myself to paint stuff this small

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice and colourful unit Ray!

    It doesn't look like orange :-D

    Greetings
    Peter
    http://peterscave.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't listen to them - they're FINE - nice shading on the cuffs... I do like a bit of history with my painted units so thanks for that too...

    PS. Try running some black ink round the edge of the flag - someone else gave me the hint and I've used it ever since - makes a nice difference...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, big flags or not, I like'em. I can'nt settle on a set of rules or even a scale, so my NYW/WSS adventures are stalled good and proper.

    >!O(

    ReplyDelete
  7. More top quality there Ray, well done that man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its the one period I know little about, but those chaps look fine and dandy Ray.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't know much about the period either so can't suggest. Great looking unit though and you have some good Dutch language material now to intimidate your opponent when you get a charge in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely job Sir - a fine body of men indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic looking battalion, Ray. I like how you have based them so that it is clearly shot and pike. Have you thought about Nassau Friesland or Wijnbergen as the other regiments? Both look good painted and the Sapherson book has the flags. That's what I went for when I did mine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work Ray. Really nice looking unit. Like the flags too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey. I bought malt vinegar the other day because a recipe called for it. Had to go to the Irish section of the store. Never used it before.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where you find this banners ? Very nice !

    and good paint, i really like your red

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cheers for the comments guys'n'gals!!
    @ Sidney - I'd like to paint the Nassau regt mainly because of the med/light blue coat, there's not many units that colour, I can't place Wijnbergen, I'll have to check my books!!
    @ Treyvor - I made the banners, I'll be posting them on the blog for downloading sometime this week.
    @ Whisk - I bet 9 out of 10 houses in England have a bottle in their cupboards, just sprinkle it on your chips and think of England!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! it looks like a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You should paint all the units for both sides for all nationalities plus the ones across the Channel on the other fronts, and a set of the several navies involved. Do not forget the French Huguenot phenomenon, some of them were right there at the Boyne shoulder to shoulder with these Dutch.

    Do this in the guardshack to maximize the value of all the resources and time TAL has made available to you.

    If he catches you, have an article ready to go about the Irish cavalry and Patrick Sarsfield, which should be better-known anyway, as a service to the world.

    All future search engine traffic on that topic will then head towards your collective blogs and he will see the value at last.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ Mekelnberg - D'ya know what that sounds like a great idea, anything I can do to piss Fran off has gotta be done. He is a lying git though, he's been painting at work too, French figs for his WII debarkle, of which I've painted more figures than he has and he keeps claiming the credit for them, "Nice painting Angry"
    I'd love to paint all the unit for the war, but I don't think the wife will like me spending all the dosh on the figures. I will one day get around to paint some units for the Boyne, but being the good catholic Fran is, I think he may get a little animated if he plays the Williamite side, if he even plays the period at all. We've a pub in Gravesend named The ol' Prince of Orange, and he won't step foot in it!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. They look great!! Very well done.
    But I am biased because I am Dutch. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I bought it to make homemade catchup. Haven't done it yet though. Still sealed in the bottle. I'll give it a go on potatoes but it's going to be difficult to pull me away from the honey. Love honey on fish and chips. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I did it too, during the first gulf war I was painting 15mm in the shack at early thirty waiting to be mobilized. They have made no progress since then, and are still in the same boxes they were in when the president called a halt to it after 100 hours. My mission would have been to train additional armour, like Panzer Lehr would have done, if needed.

    I hope there are other pubs around, for TAL, and will try both the honey and malt vinegar methods when I have some fish. They both sound good, and healthy.

    As to the wife, try this: give her the figures at birthdays, Christmas, etc, as her presents, you see, and then you are covered, but you will sneakily use them sometimes. If she hasn't killed you first.

    ReplyDelete