Tuesday 6 December 2022

Warbases - Donnybrook Hapsburg Farmstead.



I'm still on my break from the Haitian buildings, this time, although still on the buildings, I've crossed the pond to the Hapsburg Empire of the 1600's. 
I wanted some Austrian style farm building, for my Ottomans to pillage on their way to Vienna.



The first building is quite obviously a barn, but its no mere barn in fact it started life as a Warbases, Eastern European barn. I wanted my farm to look a little unkempt and worn out, so painted in up in various shades of grey, to give it that aged look.


This models had to be based, because of the ramp, I'd have snapped that off in no time if I hadn't, so I added a few scenic items to the base, barrels, sacks and a rack.


I don't usually paint the inside of buildings, but as I glued the door partially open I thought it best.


The second building is also from Warbases and is sold as Easteren European House 1, again I kept to the dark dingy colour scheme.


Which I think works well?


I hadn't planned on painting the inside, but as I painted this and the barn together, before I realised it, I'd started it!


For the last house, I went with its been looked after a little more than the others. A painted door and shutter, on a newer browner wood.


I'm not sure If I'm keen on the colour of the roof? The tile strips were also bought from Warbases, but I'm just not sure..


This also can be purchased from Warbases under the name, Eastern European House 3


And guess what, I painted the inside of this one too???

So there you go, the start of my Donnybrook Vienna 1683 housing boom!







37 comments:

  1. Nice work, I like the dingy, distressed finish to the first two, works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super results on your latest home building spree, Ray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done. The barn really does look rustic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look the business Ray. Like the green shutters

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job on the weathering. Can’t comment on the roof, are the tiles meant to be slate or wood? We have some thatch by us that was fully replaced a few years ago and it looked bright yellow like straw does, but is now a really blacky ash colour and looks totally naturalised, I am ‘guessing’ that wooden shingles would do similar, but stay on the brown hue (what do I know! :-) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what they're supposed to be made from to be totally honest, I do think I'll need to tone the brightness down though.

      Delete
  6. Great work Ray, and they look ripe for pillaging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They all look great to me. The wooden ties could either be brand spanking new or bleached white, works for me.
    I also love those trees-are they homemade or ready built?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt, the trees are from The Last Valley, not homemade I'm afraid.

      Delete
  8. Great stuff, it's amazing how much a rake or barrel can make all the difference.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simple colors really look good for this project and your weathering is splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice job on the buildings Ray, I also like the two dark and dingy looking examples best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your Ottomans will be delighted tp destroy these hovels, no matter how dilapidated they may look.
    Great models and great finishes on all of them and I'm pretty sure you could get away using the barn in Haiti too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That greying wood scheme looks very natural Ray. Might have to nick that for some fences I have planned to tackle in the new year.

    ReplyDelete