Wednesday 29 November 2023

Almansa 1707 - 2mm Woods


Several months ago I started to make some woods and forests for my 2mm Almansa project. My first attempts were utter failures, I originally used different sized pompoms from Hobbycraft, (see below), but as you can see, they come in loads of different colures, so they'd need painting.


I gave it a go and made a hell of a lot of mess, I had green paint absolutely everywhere. More importantly, I had a lot of trouble gluing them down. So I gave up and the whole mess went into the bin!!!
If anyone want a few boxes of these little blighters let me know. You can have them! 


So I went back to Richard's idea of  using Javis tree foliage.


I bought several packs of each of the three colours.


Ripped the pieces up, so they all looked like a large tree for 2mm scale.


Lee suggested using WWS Basing glue, as that's what he'd previously used on his rivers and roads. 
I bought some of the glue yonks ago, to make my own grass tufts, but as per usual I've never got round to doing it?
I found the glue very watery, so much that it soaked right through the felt base of the woods, gluing it to the mat underneath, where I'd left it to dry overnight. so that one went in the bin as well.


The main reason I wanted to use felt as the ground of the woods is so it would be flexible and hug the contours of the board I wanted to place them on. Like halfway up a hill for instance. As you can see by the photo, they are very flexible and bendy, so they should do the trick??


I dipped each tree into superglue then pushed it in place onto the felt. It's probably not the cheapest way to do it, but you know the trees definitely not coming off again, but still gives the flexibility I wanted.


With the 3 different colours all mixed together I think they look pretty effective, I just need to make a few more now, some bigger and some smaller.

Thanks for checking out the blog!

36 comments:

  1. I like it and might pilfer that idea for naval terrain in the future, although I fear that your relationship with the bin might be a tad too close sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They like very good Ray. Well done. Did you stick your fingers together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I did, Richard. Quite a few time infact!

      Delete
  3. They have worked out really well, they certainly look the part for 2mm, really gives the impression of woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie, I think they work really well.

      Delete
  4. Very nice Ray the ‘new’ versions look very effective

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you really didn't want to see the first versions!

      Delete
  5. Very effective and contact adhesive is another good and easy way to stick those Javis tufts down. You could use No More Nails too I would have thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm? I'll give both of those a go, would be cheaper than superglue.

      Delete
  6. Always been a fan of the "big battle" look of the "micro" scales; to date, mine have been 6mm, but following along with your project has generated some gravity towards 2mm: very nice stuff, Ray! I've found that the Scenic Effect clump foilage produces much the same look as you've created for small scale woods (in case you're looking to experiment with other options and means).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always up for new ideas Ed. Looking forward to your 2mm figures hitting your blog?

      Delete
  7. Nice work Ray, they look very effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very pleased how they turned out, they actually look what they're supposed to look like.

      Delete
  8. Great looking foilage, Ray. Trying out new things is a nice part of the hobby - lessons learned, if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice looking terrain. 2mm does have a charm of its own!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the terrain...buildings. woods, fields etc...is the most aesthetically attractive part of the 2mm scale, Ray...these look great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very efficient woods, got to have a bit of trial and error but they look great in the end!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, although there was quite a lot of error and it was all green and sticky!!

      Delete
  12. The end result is effective, sometimes hard to find in the scale you are working with for the period. Appreciate the difficulties you can expect trying out new techniques. I often pry my fingertips apart after using superglue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to chew the glue off my fingers several times.

      Delete
  13. That works really well Ray…
    Those foliage chunks work for explosion markers as well…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh, I can see they would look great as explosions.

      Delete
  14. They look great on mass great Job Ray.

    ReplyDelete