Monday 5 August 2024

For Ireland and King James by - A Personal Review

 


Last month my pre-order of Barry Hilton and Clarence Harrison's new book "For Ireland and King James" popped through my letterbox!!
As some of you may already be aware I already own all of Barry's collection of books on the League of Augsberg/Nine Years War period, so I certainly wasn't going to miss out on this one either.
Back in 2010 I started my collection of 15mm Essex figures based up for Beneath the Lily Banners, myself and Reject Richard started painting up English and French. I soon migrated over to Ireland, it was a toss up between the Battle of the Boyne and Aughrim. I choose the Boyne, but it could so easily have been Aughrim.

Barry and Clarence's For Ireland and King James is a veritable feast of information on the Jacobite army that campaigned in the summer of 1691 culminating in the Battle of  Aughrim on the 12th July 1691 and the 2nd Siege of Limerick Aug-Oct 1691. From uniform guides to a short history of each regiment and their flags.
If you're interested in the period or if you just like reading about history, then this book is for you.


Here's a small selection of  illustration's from the book. giving uniform and flag guides for all the Irish regiments.


I've many books on the period, but Barry has cleverly rolled them all into one book, giving you all the relevant information about each unit. e.g Col Thomas Butler's regt.


More great uniform and flag info. Here we have Butler's unusual blue cross.


More of Clarence's superb artwork


A map of Ireland, a great resource for a campaign, perhaps?


Map of the battle.


He doesn't just write books, you know?


25 comments:

  1. That does look like a very comprehensive and useful book to have Ray. I have Republic to Empire and must go back and read it some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one set of Barry's rules I don't own?

      Delete
  2. Good review Ray and it is a must buy if you have an interest in the period. I was very impressed with the book and really hope Barry and Clarence do the Williamite one that has been hinted at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, it'll be a little easier writing that one though as there's lots of info. It'd be very handy if it all in one book though, eh?

      Delete
  3. That really does look a great book and love the illustration, which are very dynamic and full of character:).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like abook well worth picking up

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such lovely illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like the illustrations. Reminds me of a D&D book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent review there Ray. It is a fine book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review Ray - looks like a great addition to the library!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent looking book, nice illustrations, intersting period!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very diverse and interesting period Iain.

      Delete
  10. What a pleasant surprise you received in the mail, Ray. That book looks great - particularly the beautiful illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a happy chappy when I realised what it was when it arrived, I can tell you.

      Delete
  11. Nice Review Ray- although to be honest I tend to order anything Barry does anyway- this just proves it was worth it- mine should arrive soon

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice looking book Ray although if I owned it I would be slightly irritated Clarence has hidden parts of all the flags behind the illustrations of the figures, but then they sell the flags for the period too, don't they?!
    Now here is an interesting fact I just learned from your post - 12 July is always celebrated in N Ireland as the anniversary of the Battle of the Boyne - 12 July 1690 - so I thought it was a very strange coincidence that Aughrim was 12 July 1691 - but here is what I just learned - the Battle of the Boyne was actually fought on 11 July 1690, not the 12th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're always learning new info Keith, its part of being a wargamer I think?

      Delete
  13. Very nice looking book!
    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete