Saturday 5 December 2020

Donnybrook - English Grenadiers


 I've been wanting to paint up some Grenadiers for my Donnybrook Shenanigans for some time, so during the lockdown I thought I'd take a small break from the Haitian Revolution and go Donnybrook once again. 
Its all Martin from 28mm Heroes blogs fault. After getting the great pressie in the post a month ago, Martin mentioned that he had some Grand Alliance figures for sale, so I bought a few from him, they got a little damaged in the post So I tarted them up a little, then varnished them several times in matt to get rid of Martin's old style gloss.
After painting basing them up I decided to finally get around to doing a few more. So out came the mega pile of unpainted lead I bought from fellow blogger Dave Crook the summer before last (I think?)
They're all Dixon minis which are a little smaller than most nowadays, but they're still crackin looking figures. Mistake No 1, I should have checked the Donnybrook ruleset for numbers in units ( you'd have thought I knew this off by heart by the amount of Donnybrook posts I've done??)
I painted 6 figures when it should have been 8? Don't tell anyone......


The first unit represents Leslies regt or could be any other red coated and red cuffed unit in the English, Jacobite or Dutch armies.



Blue? I hear you ask? Yes blue, up until 1690 the Earl of Bath regt wore a blue coated faced red.


A very generic looking unit, mine are the 1st Guards commanded by the Duke of Schomberg, but again 
they could pass for any blue cuffed regt in the 3 armies.


The buff cuffed unit is Charles Churchill's regt otherwise known as the Holland regt, later known as The Buffs. Incidentally Churchill was the brother of the other Churchill, The Duke himself.


Many regts had the cuff colour white, including many of the Scots regiments, so I've gone for the Earl of Levan's regt for mine. Of course it could also be any of the others.


Lastly, yellow was a popular colour for cuffs in the English army, so these could represent army units,
Mine is Trelawney's regt, otherwise known as the 2nd Tangier regt.

59 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful addition! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fine painting, Ray, and a lot of variety too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They have turned out rather well Ray...
    Classic miniatures... sculpted by Mark Copplestone...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Dixons. They don't look much without the paint, then they come alive.

      Delete
  4. I like the ones in blue. That was a lot of figures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Top job on these, glad you liked them. Sorry about the shiny varnish, it was a long time ago. Got rid of the rest as well, just in time to fill up the space with Challenge figures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great news. I would have bought more, if I didn't have ten ton already.

      Delete
  6. Nice job on getting them ready for battle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cracking looking minis and very nicely painted too. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, your grenadiers look superb, congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful looking figures, Ray! Love the uniform details of this period.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're obviously feeling a lot better and have been excued nursing duties in order to get this lot finished.
    Great looking units and multi=pse is always a good thing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the great thing about this period, lots of multipurpose figures.
      And yes nursing duties nearly complete too!

      Delete
  11. Nice Ray. Must get Donnybrook to the table sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice Ray and timely too. I've just bought a 15mm French Army for the LOA/NYW. So I'll be revising my Grand Alliance collection.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Splendid! My Earl of Bath’s Foot (in 6mm) is also in the blue coat—always good to find one’s mania is a shared, or to put it another way, to find a fellow maniac!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who could resist a blue coated English regt? Not me!

      Delete
  14. Terrific work Ray. The grenadier uniform is definitely one of the nicest of the period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some nice detail on these Grenadiers, I've gotta agree.

      Delete
  15. These are superb mate.
    I erm...just so happen to have a pile of Grand Alliance lead that needs painting...erm...what are your prices like ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really nicely done those Ray, I do love the uniforms with all that lace. Dixons are still lovely figures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, just wish they were a little bigger, to fit in with todays giant 25's.

      Delete
  17. Lovely looking grenadiers! Even if they're in the wrong sized units!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  18. They all look great regardless of how many you need per unit.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  19. excellent Ray, they look the business!

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are all lovely looking figures Ray...great work! The eighteenth century grenadiers are one of my favourite uniforms

    ReplyDelete
  21. Do you still have that can with red paint? :-D Serious, they look fantastic Ray!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nothing like a good Donnybrook! Wonderful figures Ray, splendid detail.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow. That's a lot of grenadiers and nicely done!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete