Monday 17 May 2021

An Ode to Scrivs....

 


Things have slowed down to their usual pace here at Casa Rousell, what with the Painting Challenge ending and real life getting in the way.

The pubs are open as well this week, so work had been extremely busy, selling beer to all unsundry in around Kent and the South East, so there's not been a lot of painting going on. (apart from building, buildings)

Speaking of the Challenge, there were some really fantastic figures painted,  my favourite entry was from Paul Scrivens-Smith. You can see the great looking figures HERE on his blog Scrivsland. 

Paul painted up some Brigade Games Scientists & Savants for his Napoleonic collection.  I commented on his post saying I loved the figures and would try and get some. Paul very kindly offered to buy them and a few other figures for me as he was coming back home to Blighty from the US, in the coming weeks. Of course I jumped at the chance!! The figures arrived late last week after Paul and his wife had unpacked all their stuff from the move. 

So I just wanted to say thanks to Paul again for being a thoroughly decent chap and sorting this out for me. It always amazes me how someone you've never even met can do a kind deed for a fellow wargamer in need. Cheers Paul!!!


I ordered the pack of Savants and 2 packs of French Sailors, Paul warned me that the figures were a little smaller than most, but I think I can get away with it, I'll just raise their bases with a piece of MDF or a tiddily wink.


Paul also pointed me in the direction of the Whizkids telescope and other scientific equipment to go along with the figures. To be honest I'd never heard of Whizkids?

I am painting some French up at the moment, very slowly, but rest assured these will all be the next figures I paint up.

Cheers
Ray



30 comments:

  1. I'm glad you found Whizkids. They are a treasure trove of things needed for so many periods and types of games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool stuff, from both of you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! And glad your pubs are finally open.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, very nice figures and nice of Scrivs to bring them back from the USA - guaranteed arrival. Open pubs are good too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice figures and well done to Paul for being a jolly nice chap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of nice people in this hobby. So you sell beer Ray, I thought you just drank it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There certainly is George. Buy, sell, make and of course drink. Don't know how many times I've had to take beer home to taste test.....terrible ah?

      Delete
  7. Off topic, but I had to comment. I was just thinking as I was going through the messy business of prepping and priming the next painting project, "If only you could buy already-primed figures: I would be willing to pay extra for that!" What a coincidence to see the primed figure packs in your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irs tge first time I've seen pre undercoated figures too.

      Delete
  8. Fellow gamers and bloggers always amaze me with their generosity, wonderful post Ray, very uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post and very kind of Paul! I'm also painting, very, very slower!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward to these Ray, and I'm glad you're all back down the pub and allowed to hug again, according to Boris anyway. What would six pints be without a hug at the end anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool figures and a great gesture from Scrivs

    ReplyDelete
  12. A nice little haul Ray... I came across Whizzkids in a local gaming store I visited for paint supplies...I have purchased a set of two pack mules .....most of the figures as you will know are fantasy and of nit much interest to me, but they are lovely work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. 99% of it is fantasy. All but the bits I bought....I think?

      Delete
  13. Nice of him. I love hearing these hobby /blog stories of folks working together. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice looking figures Ray...and promising sailors!

    ReplyDelete