Tuesday 25 May 2021

Haitian Revolution - 25mm MDF Buildings


Since the end of the Challenge back in March, I've been trying to get some buildings made for my Donnybrook excursion and also for the Haitian Revolution. I did initially want to scratch build some after watching countless hours of "How to" videos on You Tube,  but as a start I thought it best to buy some MDF buildings. I found a guy on ebay John Banks, who makes an extensive range of MDF buildings in all sizes from 6mm to 28mm, all being very cheap. Sounded good to me!

4Ground do a great Pirate Cove set, basically a Caribbean port, which to me fits in perfectly with how Haiti or Saint- Domingue as it was known would have looked like. They make a set of small Port buildings and when I saw these 28mm Garden Sheds, I had to have them and for only £5.50 for the three of them!!


They fit together pretty easy and I kept the decoration pretty basic. The middle building was covered in a thin coating of polyfilla and painted white. The other two, I threw in a handful of sand to a mix of grey emulsion paint and slapped it all over. Easy!


I haven't yet as you can see painted the inside of the building and may not bother. The roof was made from some corrugated card cut into tiles and glued on with PVA. I was stuck with how to paint them as I only had a small amount of Vallejo Cavalry Brown, so I used the next best thing, I've got a big tin of Red Masonry paint after decorating the front of my house during lockdown. So I used that, I've got enough to last a lifetime!


So there we have them, the first of my buildings for Saint-Domigue!

35 comments:

  1. With tatched roofs, they could do excellent slave buildings. I will use some for my Saint Domingue project. Thank you for the information :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to help Siaba, I will be buying more myself and adding a thatched roof.

      Delete
  2. The roofing looks great. I bought some ‘Wills’ plastic tile roofing panels today to cover some MDF, but your corrugated card gives a better effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking tropical huts, Ray. The colors look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They've come out rather nicely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great Ray. Love the corrugated card roofing tiles. I agree that some teddy bear fur thatch would also work well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, gotta agree, I'll be buying more soon and also some fur!

      Delete
  6. Outstanding looking buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to grace the table for years t come.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great buildings Ray and cheap as chips!

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice job, love the roofs. I have loads of his buildings, they are good

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice work Ray - good to see the Haitian project back in vogue - didnt you have the start of a campaign going 14 months ago?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope not me, I've probably got enough figures though! Gotta get a game in first though.

      Delete
  11. Well doen with the roofs, making them ook like individual tiles rather than the ones I see which are continuous corregations, but you really need to vary the tile colours a little imho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I agree, they need a bit of ink and then a highlight or two.

      Delete
  12. These buildings do work great for Haiti. Thanks. When I checked 4Ground though, the Port Shed listed (28S-POP-101) is different than yours, and they're £12.00 each!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Schogun, These are not from 4Ground, click this link to find them on Ebay.

      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363311295971?hash=item54970a6de3:g:dO8AAOSwXIheFy7L

      Delete
    2. Ah, thanks. Your write-up led me to believe the sheds were part of 4Ground's Port collection.

      Delete
  13. Nice work, and a bargain. The sand worked in with the paint is a great idea and worked especially well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent buildings Ray! And thank you for the link!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice looking buildings Ray. They turned out really well!

    ReplyDelete