Wednesday 20 July 2022

The Battle of Whetstone 1471 - A WotR batrep

 


The happy, pi$$ taking Steve and Lee celebrating my bad luck. More on that soon.
I thought this just had to be the first photo in my battle report on the Battle of Whetstone, a fictitious battle that could have occurred the day before the Battle of Barnet in 1471.
You can read Lee's report on the game here. If you haven't already.

OOB (Stolen from Lee's Blog)

Yorkist Army (King Edward IV)
(Centre) King Edward IV (+Standard) (Ray)
Mounted Men at Arms, Retinue Archers, Shire Archers, Men at Arms, Retinue Bill
(Left) Richard Duke of Gloucester (+Standard)
Men at Arms, Retinue Archers, Retinue Bill, Shire Archers, German Pikemen
(Right) Sir William Hastings - Lord Hastings (+Standard)
Men at Arms, Retinue Archers, Shire Bill, Shire Bill, Light Gun+4Crew

Lancastrian Army (Warwick)
(Centre) Richard Neville - Earl of Warwick (+Standard) (Lee)
Mounted men at arms, Retinue Archers, Foot Men at Arms, Retinue Bill, Shire Archers
(Right) Henry Holland - Duke of Exeter (+Standard) (Steve)
Men at Arms, Retinue Archers, Shire Archers, Shire Bill, Welsh Spearmen, German Pikemen
(Left) John de Vere - Earl of Oxford (+Standard) (Lee)
Men at Arms, Retinue Archers, Retinue Bill, Shire Bill, Light Gun+4 Crew



The set up


My left
Men at Arms, Retinue Archers, Retinue Bill, Shire Archers, German Pikemen


The centre
Mounted Men at Arms, Retinue Archers, Shire Archers, Men at Arms, Retinue Bill


My right
Men at Arms, Retinue Archers, Shire Bill, Shire Bill, Light Gun+4 Crew


I was given a slip of paper from Postie saying that I had to be aggressive and be seen to attack by turn 4, or I could be in trouble.


The village of Whetstone, 3 miles south of Barnet.


I had a simple plan, attack on my left supported by the centre, while my right would defend and hopefully keep the Lancastrian left busy, mainly because there was a large wood separating them from the rest of the army.
Simple eh?


The traitor Warwick and his pals.


We were just about to start the battle when Postie pipes up about "the fates of men"
Here we go, I thought.....
We both had to throw 1 D6, if the Posties Reject sign  (a 1) comes up, it could be a sign of treason among the ranks.


So what do I go and throw?
I then throw another one with the same poxy dice, which means one of my units will swap sides.I had to throw the morale or under for each unit, the first unit that fails will join Warwick.
I threw for all the troops on my right first, as I had two lesser Shire units and they would be the least loss. The bloody lot of them passed.


ah?
But my German Pikemen didn't!!!
They were one of my better units as well


The traitorous German mercenaries line up against their former paymasters


And to make matters even worse they did the right thing (for them) and placed them opposite the flank they had just left. It was a 5 v 5 fight, now its a 6 v 4 fight and I'm supposed to be attacking!!!!


I won the dice for first move and fire, so peppered all along the Lancastrian lines, on their turn the did the same. As well as pushing forward, after the debacle with the German mercenaries, I said out loud that I'd be defending from now on, so that made them come to me, I was still going to attack, because I had to, I just didn't know how?


At the end of each turn a dice was thrown, the winner would get to pick a card from Posties deck, there were 12 cards. He wouldn't tell us what it was for, we kinda guessed, ( i hoped) it would be another unit. We never managed to pick the right Joker card. A unit of 16 Villagers would have appeared out of Whetstone on one of our sides.


Even though I was outnumbered I moved forward on my left


One archer unit failed its morale and was pushed back.


We both carried on shooting at each other in the centre.


I then moved up my Mounted Knights, believing they wouldn't be able to shoot at me with their archers, (because of a previous ruling). Postie though, changed his mind!


Not liking the look on my left, I tried to close the gap, wheeling round, to try and form a line.


With my original plan in tatters, I moved forward on my right, Lee did the same. Our archers traded fire at close range.


A side view of the battle from my left.


Steve's dice rolling was pretty awesome, he destroyed my archers covering the Duke of Gloucester's men at arms.


Lee shot some of my mounted Men at Arms, so I pulled them back off the hill.


Things were going better on my right, I destroyed Lee's archers, but I was still weaker than Lee's battle, he had a unit of Men at Arms, a Retinue Bill and a Shire Bill, when I had a Men at Arms and 2 x Shire Bill.


As I won the first move I took a chance and charged, as we were so close, Steve's units were caught standing. Altough Postie allowed their archers to charge my flank? Which I thought was a little weird as they didn't start in my flank, so therefore shouldn't have been a flank attack?

Everything else is going tits up, so what the hell.


I lost my archers on the right of the hill and moved up the Mounted Men at Arms.


We moved up to face each other for a charge next turn.


Back on the left, I lost nearly all of my dice because of the flank attack and was smashed by Steve brilliant dice rolls.


I lost my other archer unit, things are looking really bleak!


So I called an end to the game and withdrew back to London.

Analysis

Well what can I say, things would have been different If I hadn't lost the German pikmen to treason, but with the way Steve was rolling, they probably would have still pipped me to the post.
There were a few strange decisions from Postie, that in the end did me no favours what so ever. But hey ho what can you do? Well done to Steve and Lee.
Will I ever win a game again?


33 comments:

  1. Well, a great AAR Ray in spite of your appallingly bad luck. Seeing one of your units swap sides is never fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great AAR. But, you were robbed, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tough luck again Ray, surely your day will come soon?

    ReplyDelete
  4. As ever the table looks super and sounds like a fine game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super looking game, the table looks the part, great looking game, pity about your luck as it just wasn't in at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing you can do about dodgy dice rolls.

      Delete
    2. Not the way you were rolling, that's for sure. 😉

      Delete
  6. Great looking game Ray it was unfortunate lady luck turned her back on you!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think lady luck did a little more than turn her back, I think she kicked me in the......

      Delete
  7. Great looking game, shame about the result. I'm sure your luck will change

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great report Ray, I would say I felt sorry for you but I've been having my arse handed to me in the shed-o-war for over a decade, so it's about time the tables turned. 🤞🤞

    ReplyDelete
  9. Despite a good thrashing, it still looked like you enjoyed yourself. Excellent photos and annotations.
    Better luck next time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy the game Jonathan, let's hope the luck improves!

      Delete
  10. Great report Ray. Looks like you were never going to win this one, though it sounds like a good time was had. Seems that you and Lee have swapped dice gods! You might want to umpire some games now... you can't lose those!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Done up like a kipper, by the evil man of posts.
    Great looking fight, figures and terrain, shame about the almost inevtable outcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Partly his fault Joe. Mainly mine for those 2 1's on the trot.

      Delete
  12. It's all been said but the terrain and figures are a joy to the eye Ray and your reporting style brings a smile to the face....but you have obviously pi$$ed of the Royal Mail man somehow...archers should not be allowed to charge REAL soldiers in the flank...what a travesty! 😅😆

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely looking report!
    Beautiful armies and that result!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job. I do enjoy seeing WoTR armies on display. A period I would like to start one day. Home brew rules?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh kind of. They're based on WAB, but there never seemed enough scope using a D6, so we use a D20 instead which allows for loads of pluses and minuses.

      Delete
  15. Poor you mate! But if it's any comfort at all: that would probably happen to me too if I were in your position!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a comfort at all thanks Sander, but thank you very much for trying to heal the pain.....;0)

      Delete
  16. That looked a cracking game Ray. The Wars of the Roses are so colourful and so interesting to play. Lots of scope for treachery too...and rule changing! :-)

    ReplyDelete