Saturday 12 February 2022

Revolutionary Wars Batrep - The Battle of Pasta Castiglione 1796

 


The Rejects got together last weekend for our 2nd game of 2022, you've not missed the 1st game. I've not posted it yet!
Reject Richard got out his French Revolutionary figures once again, after his great game he put on at Broadside in November we all said we'd like a few more games, for a 3 reasons, 
1. They were a bloody good set of rules. 
2. We need to play them or we'll forget the rules. 
3, See 1 & 2


Smiffy & Postie were the French


Me, Lee and Surj played the Austrians


The set up


Our right, my command.
The plan was to hold


Our centre, Lee's command
This was our weakest area, the French had a hell of a lot of troops facing us.
The Plan, hold the line!


Our left, Surj's command on the hill and to the far left.
The plan, try and take the road if possible?


I moved forward, just to give myself a bit of room and squash the French up facing me, commanded by Smiffy.


Lee also moved up, to hopefully get a few shots on Posties command as they came in.


Commander on the right


The French move forward


I get off a shot with my artillery.


What's Postie gonna do with that column?


Postie pushed 3 columns forward


Ol shiny head himself


There wasn't a great deal going on on our left. 
Just a lot of manoeuvring.


a view down the table.


Smiffy's troops

Hopefully we win the dice for who goes first, we should be able to charge?


BigLee doing his thang!


The French are getting close, Postie charges on the hill. As its only 1 unit charging I should do it some damage as it comes in. 8 dice needing a 4+, then 3 D6 needing 4+ for the artillery...


Uh oh, this isn't going well?
Only 1 hit!
Then the 3 D6 for the artillery, I threw three bloody 1's!
I think it was because Lee was standing next to me?


And Postie strolled into contact.


Smiffy didn't advance, so I did. I also entered the town.


Lee moved back, hopefully out of charge range.


Just incase I lose the melee....


Come on Austrians!


I lose the melee, but only just. I get pushed back.
And also retreat my entire line back.


Lee moves his troops on his left to attack Posties units.


Still not a lot going on?


Lee takes a shot


And next turn, we win the first move and charge in.


Even if we lose, it should hold the French up for another turn.


I charge up the hill and move forward in line with my artillery.


A pic from the French side of the table. It always looks worse when you do this!


The French Dragoons


Come on Surj, Charge!


Again from the French side


And finally there's a cavalry charge.
We fortunately won the first turn, Surj charged in. He hit the first unit on the left within half their movement, so Postie took the charge at the halt. But could counter charge with the other unit. 


So they're all in.
The melees didn't really go our way. Surj smashed one French unit routing it, as it was so close to the table edge, it fell off the planet never to return, that raised an Austrian cheer, until Richard told us we had to dice to follow up. So Surj carried on the charge and fell off the table edge as well, never to return!!
Then he went and lost the other melee and was pushed back.


I win the melee on the hill


Pushing Postie back.


I withdrew my troops again


Apart from those in Solpherino.


Smiffy moved forward, to charge the next turn, while I turned my unit to face the French flank.


Postie still managed to get in 2 charges. 

Its a bit of a mess.

I charge Smiffy in the flank, his other column charges my line and Smiffy charges my troops in Solferino.


Postie wins a melee and pushes Lee back, but then Postie fails a brigade morale check and all his units move back one move.

Now we, the Austrians thought the battle was going our way when.....


The Ray's got the dice curse came back (not really sure it had gone) and bit me on the arse!


I lost the fight for Solperino, I shouldn't have, but my dice were truly awful.


Not only did I lose the melee but I then failed the morale test and was pushed right back.
Then I lost the melee in the centre which again I shouldn't have done and was pushed back 8 inches. Smiffy threw 2 D6 to see if he could catch me in the follow up, he threw an 8 which caught me in the rear destroying the unit!!!!

This caused a brigade check which of course I failed. this actually saved my bacon, as it pushed all my units back 8 inches. which in turn left one of my units protecting the road to Perscheria. 


And there the game ended

Conclusion
Richard added the points up for the game, destroyed units, captured colours, leaders killed and the like and declared the Austrians the winners!!
To be honest it was a really close game and could have gone either way.  At the end of each turn we played it swapped who had the upper hand, it was so close. Although neither side achieved their goals, the French were a spent force. Statically the Austrians lost the game as we didn't achieve our historical aims but due to smashing the French we won the game.
Great game Richard, it was a very difficult game to play and really made you think with each turn we played. 10/10

You can see by Richard's check sheets, just how the French were punished in their attack.





49 comments:

  1. Great looking game Ray, proper wargaming. I am intrigued as to the Lion Rampant. Scotland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Postie's Dad is from Glasgow. He's lived in Kent for the last 60 years.

      Delete
  2. Now that is what historical wargaming is all about. Splendid posting Ray, thanks ever so much for taking the time to post this up with all the corking pics. Both the figures and game look awesome. Great to see everyone thoroughly enjoying themselves. It's probably me, but I couldn't see what the rule-set was you were using though..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a set Richard has written, specifically for the Revolutionary Wars, which tbth are brilliant. I told him he should publish them.

      Delete
  3. Great looking game, sounds like you rolled some woeful dice at several key stages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dice were truelly woeful, throughout the game. It very nearly handed the game to the French.

      Delete
  4. A lovely looking game and I was routing for the Austrians but even so, I am confused by the result...reading the initial brief, weren't the Austrians the aggressors? If so, they don't seem to have got any closer to raising the siege of Mantua.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, we did need to attack and take the road, which was never going to happen, so strategically the French won, but they lost so many casualties, they were unable to fight on and lost the game.

      Delete
    2. It was a close call. However, the French failed in taking Solferino (it's the town nearest the table edge - not the one mentioned in the report... my fault for not labelling it) and did not capture the Pescheria road. Plus, the French were effectively a spent force. So while the Austrians would still be obliged to retire because of the French division arriving from the southeast, they still held the frontal assault and avoided being destroyed. Fine margins.

      Delete
    3. I should also add that by the end of the game Surjit's divisions were seriously threatening the French line of communications bring to Castiglione and beyond.

      Delete
    4. Perfectly explained Richard.

      Delete
  5. What a cracking looking game, super table and such lovely figures. The Revolutionary War has such great uniforms, loads of eye candy to pore over with this post Ray. Superb!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the post Donnie, thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  6. Well, you couldn't et the French win!
    I guess falling off the table is like falling off the edge of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Austrians are on a role in the shed 'o' war

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super looking game with lots of action.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking action, Ray! Can you explain the Stat Plates behind each unit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan. The stat plates indicate the units name, changing morale status (steady, anxious, shaken or routing), how many actions the unit has left for that turn (each unit has two actions per turn), and whether the unit has its first fire and is out of command radius. When the coloured pegs are used it helps to identify the grade of the unit (elite, veteran, line or conscript). Hope that helps. Happy to answer any other queries.

      Delete
  10. A top looking and sounding game Ray…
    It’s nice to see a game that (eventually) has action over the whole table…
    Some of your dice rolls make mine look almost good…well… almost average 😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dice were absolutely awful. They very nearly swung the game for the French

      Delete
  11. That looks great and the rules seem quite intriguing from the photo of the sheets and the counters behind the units you have shown.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome looking game. I looked over the pics several times for inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking game, spectacular pictures and splendid period!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent report Ray. A very entertaining and testing engagement. Lovely photos and good to see the phone camera still brings joy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great looking game Ray, troops and terrain are all top notch!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great looking game that seemed to be touch and g throughout, well done getting a win too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was exactly like that. Which made it more fun to play.

      Delete
  17. I never noticed the little cribbage board style markers before- that is a great idea. I could see it working really well for Fire and Fury, our rules of choice for ACW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, its an easy way of keeping in mind what's going on in the game and means less work for the umpire too.

      Delete
  18. Thoroughly enjoyable, thanks Ray.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A great game, Ray, with lots of good pictures; and I am happy to see the Austrians won! ;-) (Not very much like real life in the 1790s, of course, with the French running riot...)

    Cheers,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its an uphill struggle for the Austrians that's for sure.

      Delete
  20. Real nice battle report and pictures Ray! Thanks for sharing!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Peter, glad you enjoyed the game.

      Delete