Tuesday 20 August 2019

The Battle of Asturias 1809 Part 2 - A Napoleonic batrep


Part 2 of the Battle of Asturias 1809, or as I found out at the end The Battle of Asturias Monastery. 
I wish I knew that at the start!!
So at the end of the sea battle you may remember the British got their transport ships off table, the Brits had 2 rowing boats set to land on the shore.


The Monastery, right down the end of the table.


Surj had some Spanish troops to place on the table, you can see them in the distance.
The 3rd Battalion Valancia Line
Sonia Militia
Spanish Guerrillas
Maria Luisa Hussars
5th Villa Viciosa Dragoons 


The French had 2 line regts
1st Bat 36th Line
2nd \bat 36th Line
1st Bat 4th Legere
10th Chasseur a Cheval
15th Dragoons


At the start of the first move Surj had to throw for his row boats, he threw a 1 which was great for
me, as this meant his boats were 1 move from the shore, if he'd thrown a 6, his goods would be already unloaded and reloaded onto their transport vehicles.
So this gave me a little time, and a little idea that would backfire on me almost straight away.
In my deployment I placed my 2 Cavalry units on the right and moved them in column towards the beach. I hoped to capture the un-named goods on the beach......


But alas
That dirty bugger Surj took a chance and not only moved his smaller 6 figure Cavalry towards mine but swerved the Hussars towards the flank of my infantry columns.


There was going to be 2 fights....
My Dragoons v the Spanish Dragoons


And the Maria Luisa Hussars v my columns.
I had my fingers crossed that I had enough time to turn and face my foe??


And we're in, I was lucky enough to hit the Spanish Dragoons at the halt.


Oh crap!!!
The Hussars hit me in just under their half move, which meant I couldn't change formation!!
It was mm's out!


Surprisingly we drew the Dragoon v Chassuer melee, 
In my movement phase I moved my Leger out of the way of the Hussars and placed the 2nd 36th
into square.


Surj threw well, I didn't the column ran, Surj then hit my square.


Surj pushed his Spanish infantry into the centre of the field.
My column can be seen routing across the hill!


A very well deserved red marker for allowing Surj to catch me out!


The Hussars bounce straight off the square. Note the blue marker.
This is a token to signify that they captured the colours of the 1st Bat 36th line.


On the next turn I tried to consolidate my position and get myself back into attack mode.
Note that I also had captured a colour, the French 10th Chassuers were in possession of the Villa Viciosa's lovely standard.
Meanwhile all the Goods have been loaded on 2 Wagons and 2 Mules.
Also some very helpful re-inforcements for the Spanish.
A unit of British Marines and a unit of Sailors.


Surj turned his Hussars to face my Dragoons


The Spanish Guerilla's were a right pain in the arse, as Surj was moving second most of the time
he could move his skirmishers so only they could shoot.


Charge!!!


The Guerrilla's on the left, doing what I just said they kept doing......


And the Hussars are no more!


I moved my Dragoons up towards the Spanish Militia.
The Marines can be seen on my flank.


I charged the Sonia Militia, who fail their morale check and run!
My charge is then switched to the Valencia Line. 


Bit of a double whammy here!
I smash the Valencia Line who flee and follow up hitting the Sonia Militia in the back!


Looking good!



Both Spanish foot regts route


The Transports can clearly be seen, wonder if I can capture any?
 

Next turn Surj checked morale for the 2 Spanish foot units, both fail and dissolve into the Spanish countryside.


As my Dragoons fought 2 rounds of melee last turn, they stay in disorder this turn, which only gives them half move, which is 5 inches. With the Marines hot on their heels I moved them forward
over a transport base, capturing some Gold!!


The Leger are in a tussle to the death with the Guerrillas


Its very close, but I push the Guerillas back.


Uh oh!!!!
The British Marines fire at the French Dragoons at close range.
Surj through a pot full of dice and blew them away.
This would now cause a brigade check on my Chassuers.....Gulp!


My second plonker move of the day was not to follow up and take the ground after I destroyed 
the Spanish Guerillas. This let the British Sailors in with a chance.


Where's my Cavalry?
I needed to throw a 6+ with 2 D6 to survive my Brigade check.
So I went and threw 3!!
Off they went!


Things got worse....
The Sailors charged my Legere and once again I failed the morale check, so I was caught from behind and destroyed!!
I still had my 2 Line units left, it was a race to the Monastery, But I still had to pass a Brigade check for losing the Legere. Once again I needed a 6+ with 2 D6....


Another bloody 3!!!!!
So they retired from the field, giving the game to Surj!


And here he is Loving every minute of it!!!
Getting his MotM award.

Conclusion
How the hell did I throw that game away???? Two stooopid moves didn't help my cause. Surj caught me on the hop with the Hussar move and took out a line unit for the whole game, which was a great swap.
I should have stuck with my initial plan which was to set my Cavalry up to Surj's and charge. The numbers were on my side. But when he threw badly with the landing dice I change my mind.......silly boy!!
Even though Surj inflicted my first 2 losses of the year, they were still 2 great games to play, well done to von Postie and his planning, not such a well done for that dodgy wind throw though!
It was such a good game that it was one of those where I didn't actually mind losing in the end.
Well done Surj and well planned evil Postie!



24 comments:

  1. cracking game, have you ever thought of bowls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the time Martin...........all the time!

      Delete
  2. Great looking game. Let someone else form the plan next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most excellent - all sorts of wonderful gaming going on there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dirty bugger Surj!
    Paybacks are heck, right Ray?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking game and it sounds like super fun, so it doesn't really matter who wins!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. All that for a monastery! Hope the nuns were at least grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great aar and very hard to tellhow Postie stitched you up - Did you check the dice ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He always stitches me up Joe, you know that.

      Delete
  8. Plans! Never trust them myself! Grand sounding game though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should have stuck to my original plan. Damn those Baldrick moments!

      Delete
  9. Great report and pics, wins elude me as well, but it's still a great hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent batrep mate. A well deserved win for Surjit, but commiserations to you mate...I've been on the receiving end of a Surj cavalry charge far too many times to remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did my best, the dice gods decided my fate!

      Delete