Friday 10 February 2023

How to paint 2mm figures. An idiots guide.....


I've been asked on my blog and on Facebook "How I Paint my 2mm figures". So I thought I'd turn it into a post rather than write it down over and over again.
I will admit this may not be THE way to paint up 2mm figures, but its the easiest way I've found. (cheers Richard). Unfortunately this doesn't make 2mm figures look like works of art, they are 2mm after all? But it'll give you, dear reader an insight how to make a reasonable job of it.
Ok here goes..... 


Mistake no1, I based all my figures up on MDF bases first, I now wish I hadn't, only because, the Irregular minis have a cast on lip at the front and back of the figures. I didn't cut that off and it left the small gap between the front and back row, which you'd think wasn't a problem, that is until you've gotta paint the base of the figures!  I did try on a few bases, but have now given up and leave it the same colour as the units uniform.
After baseing them, I gave the unit 2 coats of Vallejo grey undercoat.


BigLee, gave me 2 pots (a lifetime supply) of Chinchilla dust, to use as abasing material. Smother the base with a roughly 50/50 of PVA and water and sprinkle the dust all over, this stuff is dust and I ended up breathing a lot in, in my haste, so be careful! Cough!
I left a bare spot on the back of the base. After chatting to Reject Richard and Postie I decided to have a name plate of some description on the back, I hadn't quite decided if I would use dice holder squares on the base, (to tot up casualties and the like), so I left it big enough to fit one or several on, just incase.


For the basecoat of the unit I used Army  Painter Speed Paint Enchanted Blue.
there has been a lot of press with pros and cons with these paints, I've not tried them on anything over 2mm, so can't comment, if they bleed into the next colour or not, but they do work well for 2mm figures, I can tell you that. Even in 2mm they give you a highlight, which adds to the look of the figures.
These have only had one coat, I have painted another unit with two coats that give you a darker blue finish.
After the blue basecoat I painted on the first coat of the base colour, which is an Emulsion paint from Wilkinsons called Nutmeg Spice. 
Now I must admit to going a bit mad here, I've got 12 x 2.5 litres tins of the stuff.....
yeh I know...


Next up is the flesh, Reject Richard said "You only need to paint the faces" He was right!
I can hardly see the face, let alone the hands. I did tell Richard I was going to paint the cuffs, not sure whether he believed me or not?
All I did, with a thin brush was to run the colour over where the face should be, it doesn't matter if you go higher, because you'll just go over that later on.
I only painted the front rank of each base though using my goto flesh colour Tanned Flesh from Miniature Paints.


With a bigger brush, dot on a black hat. I did try another technique where I wiped over the hats with a wide brush, but wasn't happy with how it turned out. In 2mm dots are king.


Next up was the second coat of Nutmeg Spice for the base, just for any bits you miss.


Then a generous helping of Galeria matt varnish, I love this stuff, how ever much you slap on it dries without leaving any hazy marks and is very very matt.


For 2mm, you need to make the bases look good, that's the main thing you're gonna see. So it was highlight time. First up a drybrush of Vallejo Cork Brown.


Followed by another drybrush, this time with Iraqi Sand.


I wanted each unit to have a flag, again it helps with the overall effect. First off drill a hole through the bases of the figure, for my flagpoles I was using pins, so make the drill size a little bigger than the pin.


Drill all the way through the base, its just easier than trying not to, and make the pin more secure.


Ooo Flags, lots of 'em!
All the flags are oversized by roughly half, mine measure between 4 and 5 mm


Make sure the flag fits and you haven't scratched too much paint off the figures.


Cut the pin down, so the bottom of the flag sits just above the hats of the men.


Using a dot of Superglue, squeezed onto a piece of paper, dip the bottom of the pin in, then stick it in the hole!


For the flock I used 2 kinds, one was 2mm the other 1mm.
Sorry I can't remember who they were from.


In the pot it goes, after dolloping on lashings of PVA. Give it a bang and a shake after taking it out.


And you should end up, with something like this!!!


For the labels, I wanted something, 1. I could read 2.Not to be so intrusive that it was the first thing you saw when looking at the base. It did take me quite a while to match in the brown colour to the colour of my bases. You need to print the things out, because most of the time the colour matched perfectly on the computer, but hardly ever when printed out. Once you sorted the colour, you can't use another printer, either. Because the colour will turn out different.


Sharpe scalpel and cut out. You'll notice on this page the grey and blue to the left of the brown. I chose to colour code the 4 countries involved. Here we have Grey for France and Blue for Spain.


Again every gamers best friend, a 50/50 mix of PVA and water is used to glue the label to the base.


And there you have it front and back.
My "How to paint 2mm figures"


Now go give Irregular Miniatures a call and order some figures!!!
Wish I was on commission!





37 comments:

  1. Nice explanation of your technique Ray. They look great but I am pretty sure I won't be buying any - 15mm is about as small as I want go I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial Ray.
    I think the speed paints work well, and especially where uniforms are common place.
    For my French Wars of Religion I use a black undercoat. Then it is largely dots and drybrushing. It eliminates that issue you mentioned about painting the base of the models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. However, if I was doing 18th and 19th centuries I would definitely use the light undercoat and speed paints.

      Delete
    2. In hindsight, I wish I'd painted them on sticks, so I could paint up the bases. But am happy with how they turned out in the end.

      Delete
  3. That is a lot of work. Certainly you have the technique down pat.
    Were there pictures? (Sorry, I am seeing these tiny little boxes in between the text.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pics are back now, nit sure why they vanished?

      Delete
  4. A lot of work for such tiny little men. Thanks for sharing your method Ray!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like those a lot, and your technique doesn't seem markedly different to mine when painting 6mm. I have often thought of taking the plunge into 2mm but as yet...well, you know how it is. Good luck with the rest of the project and look forward to seeing more. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mick. I'm hoping to get the whole battle painted up by mid March. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  6. Always good to know how others paint and base their figures. But, 2mm is a little too small for me I'm afraid. I'll stick to 6mm as my lowest size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought I'd ever paint 2mm, but now wish I'd started earlier.

      Delete
  7. Super tutorial Ray, one I will use when I come to do my 2mm project, great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. An interesting tutorial Ray. 6mm WWII is about as small as I have ever gone, but I can certainly see the attraction of these en masse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, it's the masse effect that appealed to me.

      Delete
  9. Very nice. By coincidence today I’ve just been planning my next Irregular Miniatures 2mm order. And a few 6mm too.
    I would’ve finalised/completed the order if only I hadn’t been distracted by all the “house cleaning” my wife insists I do ☹️ I suspect she and I have differing priorities.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What period are you painting up Geoff? Tell your Mrs that I said you don't have to help with the house work.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful guide for the scale . Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tutorial, Ray! :)
    You made a good move buying so much of that Nutmeg Spice - Wilko dropped it from their range last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I did a tour of duty all over Kent, buying up as many cans as I could. I've got enough to last a lifetime.

      Delete
  12. Wonderful full looking figures!
    I tend to use the wider emery bords to base my figures on which comes ready textured so just needs dry brushing and is thinner so blends with the scenery more ..really do love this scale ..just waiting to get my stuff together and fit my room out with a 6'x4' or 6'x6' table with hex tiles and then to battle !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good! What troops do you have?

      Delete
    2. Napoleonic..all 5 ...two full packs per army so far !!

      Delete
    3. Excellent, I'd love to do some 2mm Napoleonics......one day?

      Delete
  13. A nice guide for painting grains of rice. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very useful tutorial but why not drill the flag-hole beforehand ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose you could. Trouble is you'd fill a lot of the hole when you undercoat and paint on the base colour..

      Delete
  15. Thanks Ray, that's really interesting. No need to worry about button-counting at this size! One day I will give this scale a go, just need to decide on a period. Funnily enough WSS in Spain had crossed my mind 'cos of the book 'Marlborough's Other Army', so it's interesting to see your Almanza armies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do give it a go David, I just wish I'd done this years ago. Malborough's Other Armies is the book that I'm using to paint my armies. Its a brilliant book.

      Delete